At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Perception Science Researcher within the Corporate Research Laboratories in Product & Technology Development located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go. Job Summary:
The successful candidate will assist in quantitative and qualitative research efforts to assess user perception and human performance. The role may include directing human performance/perception assessment using a multitude of research methodologies including, but not limited to: motion capture, eye tracking, force & pressure measurements, cardio-respiratory testing, EMG, and behavioral assessment. This perception science researcher will collaborate with other researchers to develop products and technologies that improve upon the customer experience in multiple product markets. Roles and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct quantitative in-person performance and perception experiments to understand the properties of products that correlate to human perception (e.g., vision, audition, haptics).
- Collaborate with research teams from corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications that use his/her scientific skills for technology and product commercialization
- Manage and analyze quantitative data
- Clearly communicate (using documents and/or presentations) research findings, recommendations, and potential design solutions
- Contribute to the strategic planning around 3M's use of perception science to advance product uptake in the market
- Protect 3M intellectual property through the filing of new patent applications, and serve as a resource regarding existing IP in this area
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA minimum on a 4.0 scale
- Two years of combined experience working in a laboratory environment (academic and/or industrial)
- Completion of bachelor's degree or higher in the field of Cognitive Neuroscience/Neuroscience, Cognitive Psychology, Kinesiology/Physiology, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university with an emphasis/focus in human perception and performance.
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Proven experience programming experimental software and data files (e.g., using R, MatLab, EPrime or related programs)
- Proven experience in experimental human subjects research (not limited to survey research)
- Core competency in statistics and experimental research methods (demonstrated course work)
- Previous experience in human perception, human factors and/or usability research
- Previous experience conducting biomechanical, eye tracking, EMG, or pressure sensing experiments
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated leadership and networking skills
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available
- Excellent communication (oral, written and presentation) and problem solving skills
: Maplewood, MNTravel:
Travel up to 10%Relocation:
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A little about us:
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.