Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an opening for a PhD Student Internship or Industrial Postdoctoral position at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Successful candidate will use their skills to leverage data analysis and modeling as a means of supporting and driving productivity programs and growth for our differentiated businesses. The position will be in the Process Data Technology (PDT) group, which is a part of Products, Technology, and Operational Excellence: an R&D organization focused on research and development of improved chemical processes and cycles, increased productivity, as well as the scale-up and commercialization of new products.
This assignment is 11 weeks in length.
Potential areas where interested candidate can be involved includes (but not limited to):
• Utilization of plant and business data to determine how to optimally operate different production assets and businesses.
• Executing on productivity initiatives focused on both batch and continuous processes: cycle time improvements, cost reductions.
• Quantitative models for gas & power pricing. Validate modeling approaches via back-testing and conducting research studies of price dynamics in real vs. modeled world.
• Ph.D. in Chemical/Electrical/Industrial/Financial Engineering, Quantitative & Computational Finance, or Computer Science (Students working towards their doctoral degree are also encouraged to apply)
• Solid mathematical background with very strong quantitative skills
• Significant Experience with MATLAB and related toolboxes is a mandatory requirement.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Good organizational skills
• Other programming languages: C++
• Experience with SQL and also handling vast amounts of data
• Chemical/physical system modeling/control/optimization
• Econometric modeling and applied statistics, Time Series, GARCH, stochastic volatility and forecasting, cross sectional modeling
• Machine learning, data mining, stochastic analysis
Air Products (NYSE:APD) is a world-leading Industrial Gases company celebrating 75 years of operation. The company's core Industrial Gases business provides atmospheric and process gases and related equipment to manufacturing markets, including refining and petrochemical, metals, electronics, and food and beverage. Air Products is also the world's leading supplier of liquefied natural gas process technology and equipment. The company's Materials Technologies business serves the semiconductor, polyurethanes, cleaning and coatings, and adhesives industries. The company had fiscal 2015 sales of $9.9 billion and has a current market capitalization of more than $30 billion. Approximately 19,000 employees in 50 countries strive to make Air Products the world's safest and best performing Industrial Gases company, providing sustainable offerings and excellent service to all customers.
To apply for this position, please visit the Air Products Career Center - Careers page. Click on the link - Search job openings from the left navigation bar. You can apply specifically to Job Req #19092BR.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for a phone screen or an interview will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
A little about us:
Opportunities for veterans with experience in instrument, electrical, and mechanical environments.