Under direct supervision of the Managing Consultant with additional support from Managing Director and Vice President of Managed Services, manages the daily departmental operations and clinical services, interprets physicians' prescriptions and compounds and dispenses medications within regulatory guidelines. Consults with customers regarding the use of medications and potential drug interactions; counsels customers and handles complex problem resolution.
This position is categorized as compliance critical and, as such, requires and is assigned specific responsibility for ensuring continual and proper compliance with all division, corporate and regulatory requirements. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications: EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Responsible for managing and assists in the procurement and dispensing of medications; verifies prescribed medications according to professional standards, facility procedures, and state and federal legal requirements.
- Responsible for achieving business goals and metrics for the Pharmacy.
- Responsible for the fiscal management of the Pharmacy to optimize profits and control expenses, under direct supervision of the Managing Consultant with additional support from Managing Director and Vice President of Managed Services.
- Develops and actively participates in periodic business reviews and month end financial processes.
- Establishes, supervises and maintains all pricing tables, special tier pricing and related pricing structures as deemed necessary for the operation.
- Reviews adjudicated prescription claims and/or reports to ensure appropriateness of reimbursement, co-pay and related financials and follows up on any claims deemed inappropriate.
- Maintains compliance with all applicable JCAHO Standards.
- Maintains all Pharmacy Operational & Clinical Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures and behaves with a focus on excellent customer service and clinical care.
- Consults with patients regarding medications or supplies prescribed, including dosage, frequency, specialized requirements and possible drug interactions.
- Works closely with patients in order to answer all questions and/or concerns regarding their medication therapy.
- Reviews and evaluates patient's plan of care for obvious conflicts.
- Manages processes designed to extend a seamless continuum of care for patients upon discharge.
- Manages all associate relations functions for the pharmacy staff such as hiring, scheduling, conflict resolution, training, terminating and performance management.
- Monitors the overall performance of staff members to ensure compliance with regulatory and organizational policies, practices and approved pharmaceutical dispensing processes.
- Maintains and executes all established procedures concerning quality improvement, security of controlled substances, and record keeping.
- Makes recommendations to the Managing Consultant and as appropriate the Managing Director and Vice President of Managed Services regarding any changes to operating procedures in an effort to facilitate smooth customer service operations.
- Responds to customer inquiries, requests and issues when situations get escalated to a higher level of authority other than the Staff Pharmacist- Retail/Ambulatory on duty. .
- Provides consultation on pharmacy and therapeutic matters to various levels of organizational personnel.
- Reviews daily reporting and scheduling of hours worked for the pharmacy staff to include sick time, vacation time, personal and holiday time and adjusts scheduling as appropriate to assure optimal patient care is maintained.
- Manages processes relative to patient profiles and contacts, ensuring that they are updated as needed for insurance verification and regulatory compliance..
- Leads departmental meetings and in-service training for pharmacy and ancillary staff.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires broad training in fields such as business administration, accountancy, sales, marketing, computer sciences or similar vocations generally obtained through completion of a four year Bachelor's Degree program or equivalent combination of experience and education. Normally requires at least two (2) years directly related and progressively responsible experience, including at least one (1) year in a supervisory/management role; a Degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy/RPh License required. Advanced degree, Master's or Pharm.D., is strongly preferred. MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under time and volume constraints
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to resolve customer issues quickly and creatively in order to improve customer satisfaction
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical products, services and drug interactions
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Must have knowledge of pharmacy computer systems
- Must have a general knowledge of business and finance processes including the ability to read and interpret a profit and loss statement
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
A little about us:
Where knowledge, reach and partnership shape healthcare delivery.