PRN Schedule (hours vary)
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, bone marrow transplant, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. We deeply value our staff and our patients. As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community in being ranked No. 1 in the Express - News Reader's Choice Awards from 2009-2013. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation.
General Statement of Duties:
The Pharmacy Technician I (Non-Compounding) performs duties under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and assists in the processing, preparation, and dispensing of patient medication orders according to professional standards and practices.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Accurately fills medication orders in the pharmacy. Processes medication returns and restocking to the pharmacy. Accurately packages and prepares medications for dispensing as assigned. Accurately transports medications and other pharmacy supplies in a timely manner to appropriate areas while maintaining proper storage and security of medications throughout the organization. .
2. Performs daily ADC routines as assigned (i.e. restocks, outdates, discrepancy resolution, loading and unloading, etc.) Replenishes ADCs, emergency cart trays and floor stock accurately and in a timely manner. Provides basic technical support for automated dispensing machines and other pharmacy computer systems. Performs all necessary functions on the pharmacy computer system which may include: patient profile inquiry, debit/credit medications, pharmacy reports/fill lists, print labels, and billing inquiry.
3. Accurately performs routine manufacturing and prepackaging maintaining accurate and complete record logs. Ensures that a pharmacist checks all work. Performs receiving and check in of medication/supply orders. Appropriately and timely notifies the pharmacy inventory manager of products that need to be reordered, shortages, overages and damaged product. Assists in management of drug supplies in a cost effective manner and identified opportunities to minimize waste. Assists the purchasing agent/department by ensuring that all expired and recalled medications are removed from inventory and stored in the appropriate area. Restocks shelves in respective areas and orders via the pharmacy want book.
4. Identifies critical issues, prioritizes workload and communicates to appropriate personnel any issues in a timely manner. Interacts in person and by phone with hospital personnel in a polite and respectful manner.
5. Performs unit/area inspections as well as expiration date checking when scheduled and submits appropriate documentation when completed. Prepares all work records needed for the day including prepacking batch logs, census reports, outdate reports and unload reports. Complies with ongoing processes to monitor outdates as per department procedures.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
1. Education: High School diploma or equivalent education
2. Experience: Hospital experience preferred
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations
Required: ONE of the following:
A. National Certification (CPhT) with Current active Registered Pharmacy Technician by the Texas State Board Pharmacy
B. Intern Certification with the Texas Board of Pharmacy
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom