Park Plaza & Plaza Specialty Hospitals - Houston, TX
Position - Unit
Located adjacent to the Texas Medical Center, Park Plaza and Plaza Specialty Hospitals offer the convenience of a community hospital with two distinct purposes. Since 1975, Park Plaza Hospital has been offering complete medical services, including surgery as well as outpatient, imaging and rehabilitation. Plaza Specialty Hospital, a hospital within a hospital, has been providing long-term acute care to those needing prolonged hospitalization and recovery since 1994.
Park Plaza/Plaza Specialty Hospital is currently looking for a Position - Department.
T his position will be responsible for the provision of drug therapy and pharmaceutical education to the customers under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist. The services must be that of the highest quality, cost effective and delivered in an efficient and professional manner.
The employee proactively works toward and achieves goals set in the previous evaluation period. Regularly communicates with manager to update him or her on progress or express needs for assistance.
1. Makes delivery and pickup rounds to nursing units, as required.
2. Fill medication orders for checking by a pharmacist and tubes/delivers to nursing unit after R.Ph. Checking.
3. Processes discharges and transfers (i.e. Cart fill, pickup and credit discharge meds IV: Techs
4. Processes IV's, Chemo's, and TPN's.
5. Reconciles IV's, Chemo's, and TPN's.
6. Restocks work area. Cart Set Tech:
7. Set daily medication carts for RPh checking, then delivers med. carts after R.Ph. checking.
8. Repackaging of non-unit dose medications Central:
9. Generate Computer Reports and delivers reports to nursing units.
10. Process specialty drug boxes e.g. L&D boxes General:
11. Check assign areas for expiration date.
12. Maintains a neat and clean work area
1. Complies with/ensures compliance with hospital and department policies, including but not limited to:
a. Adheres to department attendance policy.
b. Follows appropriate guidelines for planning/arranging schedule changes or vacation/holidays.
c. Reports to work on-time.
d. Completes job duties within required time frame, according to established schedule or workflow requirements.
Ensures inventory control and formula maintenance by:
a. Listing shorts on shortbook.
b. Appropriate charging and crediting of medications.
c. Regularly communicates with purchasing manager to assure adequate stock is available.
1. Assists in cross-training of co-workers.
2. Assists in the orientation of new employees.
3. Assists co-workers in problem-solving and helps co-workers complete other tasks when needed.
4. Regularly communicates problems to supervisor or Assistant DOP.
5. Educational development fulfilled by attending required department in-services.
1. Is able to articulate departmental PI/QC activities.
2. Is able to articulate one of the Top Four Hospital-Wide PI activities.
3. Is able to state the methodology for PI used by the organization.
4. Assists in 1 of the following PI activities:
a. Assists in data collection.
b.• Identifies opportunities for ideas for improvement in dept. or organization. c. Participates in PI team.
Minimum Education: Required High School Diploma or G.E.D. Required Certification: ACPE IV Sterile Products Certification
Required Licensure: National Technician Certification
Minimum Experience: Prefer 1yr hospital pharmacy or successful completion of Nationally Certified Tech training program. Proficient in aseptic techniques & IV preparation Minimum typing skills (20 words/min), ability to troubleshoot machines typically associated with the practice of Aseptic Technique. Excellent interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deal with many different personalities.
Frequently(at least 50%) - Standing/Walking, Sitting, Turning, Lifting/Carrying, Pushing/Pulling, Climbing/ascending/descending ladders/stairs, Bending/Stooping, using arm muscles frequently or for extended periods, using leg muscles frequently or for extended periods, and using back muscles frequently or for extended periods. Weights lifted and carried - 2-10 pounds, 11-20 pounds, 21-30 pounds, and 31-40 pounds. Infrequently(less than 25%) - 41-50 pounds, 51 pounds or more requires help, working in hot, cold or wet surroundings, working with or near chemicals, working with hazardous waste materials, operating vehicles or machinery and wearing protective clothing and/or equipment. Extensive standing, walking, lifting (up to 40lbs) frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching.
• Stressful, fast paced work environment.
• Rotating shifts/May need to work more than 40 hrs a week, when necessary
• Extensive standing, walking, lifting (up to 40lbs) frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching.
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deal with many different personalities.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom