Physical Therapist Assistant - PRN
St. Lucie Medical Center
Port St. Lucie, FL Facility Description:
St. Lucie is a 229 bed acute-care, full service medical center and a leading provider of quality affordable health care. Because we believe in "Quality, Excellence and Commitment," we deliver the very best medical care with our state of the art medical technologies. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits program that allows you to select the options that best meet the individual needs of you and your family.
St. Lucie has also been voted as a top five "Destination Hospital for Nurses." With a team-oriented approach and ample opportunity for career growth, we think you'll find St. Lucie Medical Center offers the ideal atmosphere for your skills and talents.
St. Lucie Medical Center is a member of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, Hospital Corporation of America. HCA Ranks on Fortune's list of Most Admired Companies for three consecutive years. In addition, HCA has also been named one of Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical Companies for five consecutive years. Join our tradition of excellence! Job Description:
The Physical Therapist Assistant's function is to implement the patient's program designed by the Physical Therapist to instruct, assist, supervise the patient's in their programs, assist the staff or Senior Therapist as well as revising patient's programs and to delegate responsibilities as permissible by law in accordance with APTA guidelines and JCAHO/CARF requirements to Physical Therapy.
Under the supervision and direction of a licensed physical therapist, The Licensed Physical Therapy Assistant (LPTA) assists in the practice of physical therapy. Responsibilities and tasks include:
- Carries out treatment plans that have been established by a licensed physical therapist for inpatients and outpatients.
- Directs and aids patients in therapeutic exercise, gait and functional training, applies therapeutic modalities, and performs other activities according to the plan of care established by the licensed physical therapist and as permitted by the State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners.
- Assists the physical therapist during patient testing, evaluations and complex procedures.
- Instructs patients on segments of the plan of care including proper use of wheelchairs, crutches, canes braces and prosthetic appliances and devices.
- Documents in computerized documentation system. Prepares correspondence and reports related to plan of care and patient progress.
- Directs activities of technicians, students, and volunteers as assigned.
- Participates in performance improvement and program development as assigned, to include but not limited to: data gathering, chart reviews, compilation of data into a report.
- Performs duties with full understanding of related age specific factors.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Graduate of an accredited Physical Therapy Assistant program
- State licensure as a Physical Therapy Assistant.
- Critical thinking and judgment particularly in determining when to inform the therapist of a significant change in patient's condition.
- Current certification as a BLS Healthcare Provider.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting patients and /or equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom