POSITION SUMMARY :
Utilize expanded knowledge base of pathophysiology and pharmacology to provide comprehensive health assessment, diagnosis and treatment of individuals with cardiovascular diagnoses. Clinical decisions are formulated in consultation and collaboration with the cardiovascular surgeons on staff as well as the CV Medical Director. The CV Service Physician Assistant is additionally involved in education, performance improvement and research.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Performs functions including assessment, medical histories, ordering and interpreting laboratory, diagnostic, and imaging studies.
2. Dictates H&Ps and discharge summaries as necessary
3. Establish medical diagnosis(es) and determine a plan of care for short term and chronic health problems.
4. Order, obtain & interpret laboratory tests.
5. Order and evaluate interpretation of diagnostic studies.
6. Prescribe medications within the PA's functions and in accordance with clinic & hospital policy.
7. Follows approved physician approved protocols in the clinic
8. Adheres to the hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regs when functioning in the hospital setting.
9. In an emergent situation, provide care to stabilize the patient & prevent deterioration of patient's condition.
10. Participate in research activities in compliance with IRB and regulatory agencies.
11. Contribute to the development and implementation of cardiovascular service protocols and patient care guidelines, as well as participate in the variance capture and analysis in an effort to enhance quality, service and resource management.
12. Organize process improvement and multidisciplinary clinical outcome activities.
13. Collaborate with all members of the healthcare team in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating care delivery for the spine patient in a variety of settings.
14. Provide education to patients and families.
15. Serve as a resource to nursing and clinical staff. Generate educational opportunities for staff development concerning current care of the injured patient in informal and formal methods.
16. Attendance and being on time, ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential job function.
17. Assist CV physicians in the O.R. as appropriate and credentialed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David's Surgical Hospital Center. Must be able ensure that patient care and/or department service is delivered in a safe, competent, and efficient manner as determined by outcomes, quality monitors, and other internal and external processes. Conduct and interpersonal relationships contribute positively to the delivery of quality care and services, and to orderly operation of the department and the facility. Skills are maintained and enhanced through consultation with interdisciplinary team members, participation in planning activities, and attendance at in-service and continuing education programs. Ability to demonstrate complex clinical skills within the framework of the physician assistant education and guidelines. Advanced physical assessment and critical thinking skills required. Ability to listen, interact and communicate verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
Required: Master's Degree and 2 years Physician Assistant experience.
Preferred: Cardiovascular care in an acute care facility
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom