At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: 3M is seeking a Pipefitter / Steamfitter for the Corporate Business Group located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go. Job Summary:
Incumbent is responsible for troubleshooting, testing, repairing, modifying/installing, and making adjustments for the operation and maintenance of steam fitting piping and piping systems. Areas include fixtures, lubricating, laboratory and office buildings, utility areas, equipment for steam, hot water, heating and cooling according to specifications and high pressure piping (HPP) codes.Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
This position will require:This position may require:
- Reads and works to the indicated accuracy, specifications, and tolerances as detailed on engineering drawings, machine assembly prints, machine construction prints, blueprints, sketches, equipment manuals, and vendor diagrams
- Sets up, operates, and reads precision testing and measuring instruments to the instrument manufacturer's specification and accuracy. Precision testing and measuring instruments include devices such as pressure gages, thermometers, leak detectors, flow meters, and rotometers
- Performs mathematical calculations, including trigonometry, to determine dimensions, locations, angles, sizes, and shapes for piping installation, flow, and pressure calculations
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment malfunctions and makes repairs or adjustments based on that diagnosis using repair parts or by correcting existing parts or by innovation to select substitute parts
- Plans and installs piping systems by preparing sketches when necessary to describe parts or material required to make minor modifications or repairs. Moves material and equipment using standard methods of rigging and hoisting.
- Determines and uses proper metal joining techniques such as arc and acetylene welding, brazing, and soldering. Work includes the preparation of pipe for welding or other methods of joining. Any welding activity requires applicable welding certification
- Sets up and operates shop equipment such as hand tools, wrenches, air and electric powered portable hand tools and machine tools. This includes pipe threader, tube bender, gas, and arc welders and similar equipment.
- Provides and maintains the minimum required quality and quantity of personal hand tools for use on the job as listed by management Completes required shop paperwork and uses reporting system following established procedures. This includes Daily Work Records, P.M. Route Sheets, Stock Withdrawal Forms and other forms and records that may be required in the performance of the job or operation of the department
- Submits work method improvement suggestions, craft training suggestions, and other cost recommendations to shop supervisor
- Handling Hazardous Waste materials consistent with established procedures. This includes packaging, labeling, and staging. Additionally must alert appropriate personnel in the event of any problems related to Hazardous Waste
- Understands and uses safe work methods when performing the job requirements in hazardous and nonhazardous environments so as to avoid personal injury, injury to co-workers, or damage to company property
- Reports unsafe work conditions or equipment operation to supervisor immediately
- Keeps work area neat and orderly, contributes efforts toward the overall cleanliness of the shop. Cleans up general working area (shop and/or factory) at the completion of each job. Machine tools are to be cleaned and other tools returned to the tool crib or shop storage cabinets as appropriate. Broken or malfunctioning tools are to be brought to the attention of the shop supervisor
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required
- Attends company authorized seminars, instructional sessions, and vocation school classes to maintain personal competence in new areas of technology, components, tools, methods, and practices.
- Working overtime (on a voluntary basis)
- Weekend work (on a voluntary basis)
- Possess a High School Diploma/GED or higher
- Possess a State of Minnesota HPP Journeyman Pipefitter License
- Possess a City of St. Paul Journeyman Certificate of Competency (Steam and Gas)
- Possess a current and valid driver's license
- State of Minnesota HPP Master Pipefitter License
- Knowledge of Minnesota state and local codes governing piping systems
- Knowledge of operating principles, purpose, proper application and design limitations of metallic and non-metallic piping systems and system components
- Possess any current Pipe Welding Certifications
: Maplewood, MNRelocation
: Is not authorized
Qualified applicants will be required to take and pass 3M employment testing as a part of the selection process.
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.