We are currently seeking an individual for a Plant Engineer position who will support Praxair's Hydrogen (HyCO) and Carbon Dioxide (USIG) in East Chicago, IN. The successful candidate will report to the Whiting Facility Manager.
The Plant Engineer will provide day-to-day technical support with emphasis on plant improvements, process safety, and process consistency. The plant engineer will interface with various functional teams including Safety & Environmental Services (S&ES), Maintenance, Reliability, Project Engineering, Productivity, Process Controls, Process Safety, as well as operating teams at other HyCO facilities in the US.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Provide process safety stewardship in areas of operating procedures, operating/technical manuals, critical safety systems, management of change, pre-startup safety reviews, process hazards analysis, incident investigations, audits and assessments, alert compliance, operations training, alarm management, P&ID updates, and action item follow-up.
- Lead plant startups / shutdowns and provide as-needed support for plant turnaround planning and execution.
- Lead and assist in quality assurance (ISO 9000) training and system management.
- Champion and assist management of change program for the facility.
- Champion and promote productivity initiatives including Six Sigma and Cost Reduction.
- Monitor plant efficiency, KPI's, and alarm management program.
- Assist plant operations with basic personnel safety fundamentals including safety meeting participation, ACMS compliance, HWC, HWP and CSE functions based upon experience.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems and implement solutions.
- Champion and promote a strong safety culture.
- Assist in the development and delivery of process training.
- Provide technical expertise to plant operations and maintenance technicians.
- Propose and execute small capital projects.
- Lead or participate in incident investigations (RCA / RCI).
- Assist plant operations with EAM compliance.
- Lead or participate in cross functional teams.
- Conduct equipment analyses and pressure drop surveys as needed.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Participate in reviews of and maintain a working knowledge of Standard Maintenance Procedures, Standard Operating Procedures, Site-specific Operating Procedures, and Engineering Standards.
- BS 2 / MS 1 years experience in an engineering role preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Must have strong technical skills including knowledge of practical application of Process Safety procedures such as PHA, MOC, and RCA.
- Must have a positive attitude, be willing to quickly adapt to changing situations, have strong communications skills, and a strong will to build and maintain productive relationships across departmental lines.
- Must be able and willing to adapt to a work schedule that coincides with plant operational needs. Must also be able and willing to work for extended periods of time in an operating plant under various environmental conditions. Must also be able and willing to work inside of confined spaces.
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently as well as to lead and participate on cross-functional teams.
- Must be willing to carry a laptop computer and cell phone for occasional use during off hours.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities, drive issues to completion, and obtain results.
- Must be detail-oriented with an ability and desire to persevere.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
A little about us:
A global Fortune 300 company that supplies atmospheric, process and specialty gases, is focused on making our planet more productive.