Are you ready to be part of a passionate and hard-working team eager to drive our business forward? Move your Career forward with Airgas as a Plant Operator in Rockford, IL!
Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is the leading U.S. supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases, as well as hardgoods and related products; one of the largest U.S. suppliers of safety products; and a leading U.S. supplier of refrigerants, ammonia products, and process chemicals.
Dedicated to improving the performance of its more than 1 million customers, Airgas safely and reliably provides products, services and expertise through its more than 18,000 associates, over 1,100 locations, robust e-Business platform, and Airgas Total Access telesales channel.
As an Air Liquide company, the world leader in gases, technology and services for Industry and Health, Airgas offers customers an unrivaled global footprint and industry leading technology and innovations. Check out what a career at Airgas can offer you! GENERAL SUMMARY:
The Plant Operator will be responsible for safely handling and filling gas products. Depending on the Plant Operator career level, may be responsible for filling liquid, medical and/or high pressure gas cylinders in compliance with federal, state, local regulations, and meeting the standard operating procedures of Airgas. ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects cylinders prior to filling, following standard procedures as required by government, Airgas, and distributor standards. Conducts a variety of Safety checks per procedures, such as odor tests, checking caps and valves. Analyzes products for purity and correct mixtures.
- Handles high-pressure, medical and liquid cylinders. Prepares high pressure cylinders and cryogenic vessels for filling. Attaches to manifold, evacuates cylinders to eliminate all possible contaminants. Fills cylinders by pressure and weight, per regulations and standards.
- Assists with the loading & unloading of cylinders on & off pallets and tractor trailers. Operates a forklift, pallet jack and other warehouse equipment.
- Manages paperwork to Department of Transportation (DOT), Food & Drug Administration (FDA), Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), and Airgas standards. Completes quality control sheets as required.
- Understands hazards of various gases; size and contents of cylinders by reading and interpreting cylinder labels and the color-coding of tanks. Accurately labels cylinders.
- Complies with all government and company standards relating to the safe handling of hazardous materials/cylinder gases.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly plant appearance.
- The above job functions are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position and are not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Other duties as assigned that fall within scope of job. This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of this position. Incumbents are expected to follow any other reasonable instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their manager. Performance of this job in a safe manner and in keeping with established Airgas policies is a condition of employment.
Qualifications: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be involved with the management of your qualifications to perform tasks. Level placement will be determined in accordance with training, evaluation, qualification, and management approval.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties. REQUIREMENTS:
- HS Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of one year of prior experience in a manufacturing operation, filling or loading experience preferred.
- Strong background in gas, welding and safety supply industry or chemical industry preferred.
- Level 1: Filler in training in one of the following areas dependent upon plant need: Loader, Propane filler, Acetylene filler (not acetylene generation), or industrial pure hydrogen filling.
- Level 2: Must minimally have one year of prior experience as a Level 1 Filler and additional certification along with demonstrated competence associated with one or more of the following areas: Acetylene generation, Hydrogen mixes, and/or Hydrogen Pure Specialty gas filling.
- Must be willing to rotate to another position on a quarterly basis;
- Must allow 6 months between certifications.
- Level 3: Must be qualified for Acetylene Requalification and/or designated as an Operations Trainer.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- Must be able to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds. Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong level of attention to detail.
- Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages.
- Ability to safely operate a forklift.
- Ability to live by Airgas safety programs, OSHA, and all related rules, regulations, procedures which are applicable to this position's responsibilities.
The characteristics listed below are representative of the physical demands required by an individual to successfully perform the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Able to talk, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crawl or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus objects.
- Regularly required to stand, bend, stoop, crouch, reach, grasp, feel and talk or hear.
- Able to smell and hear leaking gas from cylinders.
- Occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or use a calculator or computer; and reach with hands and arms
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and move up to 800 pounds with the aid of material handling equipment.
The characteristics listed below are representative of the work environment typically encountered by an individual while performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Airgas offers a full benefits package that includes:
- Minimal travel required.
- Work space is one that contains moving mechanical parts and risk of electric shock.
- Requires both indoor & outdoor environments in various seasonal weather conditions. Must be able to work in temperatures ranging from -10 to over 100 degrees.
- Work environment may contain loud noises and odors that may last for long periods of time or on a continual basis.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation, Sick, Paid Holidays, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match, Tuition Assistance and much more!
What do our Team Members have to say about being part of the team?
"Great place to work with great growth potential" - Director, Atlanta
"Opportunity to advance and a great safety program" - Driver, Cheshire
"Fun people to work with and flexible management" - Sales Specialist
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.