Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone. A subsidiary of Shire, BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home.
BioLife's employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives.
As a global leader dedicated to building the best team in healthcare, we offer competitive compensation and full benefits. For specific location center operating hours, and to learn more about BioLife Plasma Services, please visit www.biolifeplasma.com.
The Medical Support Specialist determines donor eligibility to donate plasma, management of donor reactions, review of laboratory test results, and donor notification of unsuitable test results. The Medical Support Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Center Manager (or Assistant Manager as applicable) for operational guidance and under the supervision of the Center Physician for medical issues. Ideally, the Medical Support Specialist will be familiar with regulations of the plasma collection industry and/or a manufacturing environment. The Medical Support Specialist follows guidance provided by BioLife Medical Affairs and provides center level support of environmental, health and safety (EHS).
- Comply with federal, state, local and company-specific requirements related to quality of product, employee and donor safety and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities.
- Determine donor eligibility accurately and in a timely manner, to include, proper management of informed consent, AIDS education and confidential self-exclusion, medical history interview and acceptance requirements, physical examination, and blood testing, as required.
- Evaluate and manage donor reaction(s), which occurs at the facility as outlined in the SOPs.
- Support the donor immunization programs as applicable per SOP.
- Manage donor deferral; reviews test results and notify donors of unsuitable test results per applicable SOPs.
- Understand handling of Post Donation Information (PDI).
- Refer to the Center Physician or Medical Affairs (as applicable) when in need of providing unacceptable findings to donors, problem solving, or guidance concerning medical or technical issues, including donor safety and eligibility.
- Demonstrate continued competency in the performance of job responsibilities and complete periodic assessment with the Center Physician per applicable SOPs.
- Follow applicable SOPs for medical emergencies including the execution of Center Physician's standing orders and donor transport to emergency care facilities.
- Take initiative to task train in other work areas to assist, when available, in production.
- Assist the EHS program as required per SOPs or as requested by the EHS Manager.
- Conduct pre-placement evaluation of new hires to include assessment of medical history questionnaire.
- Support the Hepatitis B and Seasonal Flu vaccination programs for employees as applicable.
- Maintain applicable employee medical records as confidential documents.
- Member of EHS site committee and assist in training of employees, as required.
- Administer first aid to employees as needed.
- Act as Pandemic Coordinator when authorized by EHS.
- Supports investigations associated with pandemic threats within local community as indicated by EHS or Medical Affairs.
- Willingness to temporarily support other BioLife center operations, as needed.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Able to satisfactorily complete the FDA approved training requirements for BioLife Medical Support Specialist.
- Effective communication skills.
- Customer service oriented.
- Basic computer skills.
- Willingness to work with other the Center Medical Team members to ensure coverage of all operating hours.
- Willingness to travel preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Graduate of a recognized educational program.
- Currently licensed or certified in the state duties will be assigned.
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN).
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED certification required.
- Fulfillment of state requirements (in state of licensure) for basic IV therapy.
- Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.