Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics. Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
A subsidiary of Shire, BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home. Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone.
BioLife's employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives. Job Summary Primary Role
The Medical Support Specialist determines donor eligibility to donate plasma, management of donor adverse events, review of laboratory test results, donor notification of unsuitable test results. The Medical Support Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Center Manager (or Assistant Manager as applicable) for operational guidance and under the supervision of the Center Physician for medical issues. Ideally, the Medical Support Specialist will be familiar with regulations of the plasma collection industry and/or a manufacturing environment. The Medical Support Specialist follows guidance provided by BioLife Medical Affairs and provides center level support of environmental, health and safety (EHS). Essential Functions Responsibilities
- Donor Eligibility
- Determine donor eligibility accurately and in a timely manner, to include, proper management of informed consent, AIDS education and confidential self-exclusion, medical history interview and acceptance requirements, physical examination, blood testing, and reviewing Serological Protein Electrophoresis (SPE) as required.
- Evaluate and manage donor reaction(s), which occurs at the facility as outlined in the SOPs. Follow applicable SOPs for medical emergencies including the execution of Center Physician's standing orders and donor transport to emergency care facilities.
- Manage donor deferral; reviews test results and notify donors of unsuitable test results per applicable SOPs.
- Initiation and investigation of Post Donation Information (PDI).
- Refer to the Center Physician or Medical Affairs (as applicable) when in need of providing unacceptable findings to donors, problem solving, or guidance concerning medical or technical issues, including donor safety and eligibility.
- Demonstrate continued competency in the performance of job responsibilities and complete periodic assessment with the Center Physician per applicable SOPs.
- Assist the EHS program as required per SOPs or as requested by the EHS Manager
- Conduct pre-placement evaluation of new hires to include assessment of medical history questionnaire.
- Support the Hepatitis B and Seasonal Flu vaccination programs for employees as applicable.
- Maintain applicable employee medical records.
- Member of EHS site committee and assist in training of employees, as required.
- Manage employee incidents and determine whether further evaluation is required by occupational health/ER. Refer to EHS guidance regarding employee incidents.
- Administer first aid to employees as needed.
- Act as Pandemic Coordinator when authorized by EHS.
- Supports investigations associated with pandemic threats within local community as indicated by EHS or Medical Affairs.
- May perform all required duties in the area of Medical History (including, but not limited to)
Education & Experience Requirements Essential:
- Greet donors as they enter and exit the donor floor.
- Take and record donor pulse, blood pressure, and temperature measures and monitor electronic donor questionnaire system.
- Perform finger stick, test sample, and record other donor measures to include hematocrit, total protein and weight.
- Enter donor information into the Donor Information System (DIS).
- Graduate of a recognized educational program.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting preferred
- Bachelor's Degree
Other Job Components
- Living our leadership behaviors is a basic expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following:
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
- Currently licensed or certified in the state where duties will be assigned: Registered Nurse (RN), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Physician Assistant (PA).
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED certification required
- Fulfillment of state requirements (in state of licensure) for basic IV therapy
- Able to satisfactorily complete the FDA approved training requirements for BioLife Medical Support Specialist
- Minimum of two years in a clinical or hospital setting preferred
- Effective communication skills
- Customer service oriented
- Basic computer skills
- Willingness to work with other Center Medical Team members to ensure coverage of all operating hours
- Routinely makes decisions determining donor eligibility.
- Seeks guidance from Center Physician and Center Management (including Quality) for medium to high impact decisions and urgent matters.
Internal and External Contacts
- Regularly advises and consults with donors/customers (External)
- Seeks guidance from Center Physician (Internal)
- Coordinates with Center Management team and Quality to ensure successful operation standards are met (Internal)
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional environment.
- Attend monthly staff meetings, and other team meetings as needed.
- Supports the center management team in identifying operational opportunities for continuous improvement, initiating changes to center processes as needed, through use of company approved procedures (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen).
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Willingness to travel preferred. (less than 10%)
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.