Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics. Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
A subsidiary of Shire, BioLife is an industry leader in operating high quality plasmapheresis centers throughout the United States. At BioLife Plasma Services, we excel at caring. Caring for the quality of our lifesaving services, caring for the donors who help make it happen, and caring for the communities we call home. Improving Lives. Improving life for everyone.
BioLife's employment opportunities are among the best, offering competitive pay, immediate benefits, paid time off, on the job training, advancement potential AND an environment full of fast-paced fun all while working to save lives. Job Summary Primary Role
Responsible for the general supervision of employees assigned to the production areas. Is able to perform all technical tasks required within the production areas. Provides assistance to management to achieve business goals.
All listed duties must comply with federal, state, local and company-specific regulations related to quality of product, employee and donor safety and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities.Essential Functions Responsibilities
- Operations Lead (70%)
- Ensures that all center employees comply with all federal, state, local and company-specific rules, regulations, and practices related to quality, to the safety of products, donors, and employees and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities.
- Effectively schedules employee hours to meet the needs of the business.
- Understands Inventory Control and general accounting concepts to maintain good inventory practices within the center.
- Effectively manages the production areas, motivates and encourages employees to meet their performance goals, and comply with company quality standards and procedures.
- Addresses donor and employee concerns in a timely manner.
- Properly documents and counsels employees on non-conforming events, working with management to determine root cause.
- Perform all non-core area tasks, and those limited to CS and above.
- Maintain qualifications and perform all duties (core and elective) for Medical History, Phlebotomy, and Sample Processing areas.
Education & Experience Requirements Essential:
- People development (30%):
- Provides regular feedback to employees and management regarding center and employee performance.
- Ensures that employees are committed to customer service expectations.
- Fosters teamwork. Works collaboratively with staff, peers, and management to achieve business goals. Communicates continuously and resolves conflicts proactively.
- Participates in the employment application pre-screening and interviewing process for center staff.
- Initiates employee disciplinary action in accordance with company policies and procedures, as necessary.
High School Diploma or equivalent required Desired:
Key Skills and Competencies
- Experience in a laboratory, hospital, or other regulated environment is a plus.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree desirable.
- Living our leadership behaviors is a basic expectation for all Shire employees. Shire expects all employees to embody the following:
Other Job Components Complexity and Problem Solving
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be An Excellent Manager of Self and Others
- Ability to read and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and to maintain complete and accurate records.
- Good verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work as a team player.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated technical competence
Internal and External Contacts
- Responsible for providing exceptional customer service to donors (external) and fellow employees (internal)
- Refers to Center Manager for guidance decisions (internal)
- Advises and counsels hourly staff on operational, safety, and customer service concerns. (internal)
- Refers to management team for escalated donor/employee concerns (internal)
- Reports to Center Manager (Internal)
- Coordinates will all other center roles to effectively problem solve, ensure safety of staff and donors, and provide an exceptional customer experience. (internal)
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional environment.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and other team meetings as needed.
- Supports the center management team in identifying operational opportunities for continuous improvement, initiating changes to center processes as needed, through use of company approved procedures (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen).
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Production environment requiring the ability to walk and stand for the entire work shift.
- Requires frequent leaning, bending, stooping, crouching, and reaching above the shoulders and below the knee. Requires frequent lifting up to 32 pounds, and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Must have fine motor coordination, depth perception, and ability to hear equipment sounds from a distance.
- Due to potential exposure to blood borne pathogens (risk level 1), 90% of work tasks require pro-longed glove wear
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.