• Recent PhD in bioinformatics / computational science / biomedical engineering/ biological sciences or equivalent research experience.
• Demonstrated skills to programmatically collect, combine, mine and analyze complex biological data.
• Experience in the analysis of microbial and human genomic datasets especially from Next Generation DNA sequencing platforms.
• Good verbal and written communication skills and ability to work well with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Strong interest in publication in peer reviewed journals.
Knowledge of Infectious disease, Host-response Biology
Be part of cutting edge science to advance GSK's mission 'to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel
better, and live longer'.
• Accelerate your post-doctoral research with GSK's extensive R&D engine
• Bridge the gap from target identification to medicine for patients in-need
• People / Knowledge Base / Training
• Postdoctoral research will be focused on addressing the critical R&D challenges that have been selected as optimal areas of science for post-doctoral training.
By joining us for your post-doctoral training, you will be prepared for a career in industry, academia, or a regulatory organization as well as an opportunity to put yourself at the forefront of science.
• Your Postdoctoral experience will be accompanied by tremendous support at GSK with the opportunity for daily collaborations with world-class scientists. GSK is committed to providing each postdoc with a mentor who will be focused on providing a comprehensive training programme and are expected to nurture skills that will enable postdocs to become independent scientific
• Postdocs are actively encouraged to present their research at internal and external meetings and participate in the GSK R&D postdoc community, which will include scientific and social programming.
1. Perform computational analysis of multiple clinical microbiome datasets from GSK-sponsored or GSK-supported clinical studies within required timelines.
2. Develop signatures based on integration of microbial, viral and human data to identify clinically relevant disease subsets and treatment outcomes.
3. Develop methodologies and analysis pipelines for comparing microbiome profiles across GSK studies as well as integrative analysis of publicly available microbiome datasets.
4. Establish GSK external scientific profile through high-calibre publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference presentations.
• Demonstrate the following GSK expectations:
* Set direction & inspire: Ensuring your work supports your team's goals and the organisational priorities and applying sound judgement in all that you do
* Work across boundaries: Building trusting relationships within and beyond your team to achieve goals and contribute to the success of GSK
* Release energy: Engaging constructively with others and demonstrating a positive mindset
* Develop capabilities: Equipping yourself with the skills and knowledge to do great work, now and in the future, and supporting others to do the same
* Drive performance: Holding yourself and others accountable for delivering quality results
* Live our values; Acting as a role model, ensuring everything you do is in line with our values, serving patients and consumers
This Early Talent postdoctoral fellowship (2 year) with the Computational Biology Department will support multiple therapy areas on the interactions between the microbiome and various pathogens with human host immunity. The roles of both beneficial and pathogenic microbes on human host pathways are being linked to the occurrences of many chronic and infectious diseases. With the rapid expansion of multiple genomics platforms, there is a significant opportunity for the development and application of new computational approaches to identify novel human gene targets that are modulated by microbial interactions for the treatment of infectious, respiratory, inflammatory and other diseases. The successful candidate for this position will provide computational biology insight and analyses to interdisciplinary teams of drug discovery scientists. A key role will be to develop and lead novel computational biology studies and lead the writing of manuscripts in high level international scientific journals. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in applying their bioinformatics skills to translational and transformative medicine projects in a large pharmaceutical R&D organization.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
A little about us:
We are a science-led global healthcare company on a mission to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.