Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Be a part of the legacy: Merck Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow in Biologics Process Development & Engineering department you will work with a highly collaborative team of Merck scientists, postdoctoral researchers, and external collaborators to utilize a combination of fundamental science (Systems Biology) and engineering/advanced mathematical principles to e stablish predictive models for cell culture conditions by integrating metabolomics, transcriptomics and proteomics data sets from production processes. The candidate will develop and apply computational tools along with internal and external cellular pathway network analysis software to identify key process and media components for the development of next generation biologics production processes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establish baseline cellular profiling through mining of historical cell culture performance data and accumulated transcriptomics and proteomics data.
- Utilize MVDA (multi-variate data analysis) and pathway network analysis to connect data sets (phenotypic profiling, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics) to identify key media components and process parameters to support media optimization and refine process models.
- Identify potential linkage of key media components and process parameters to cellular signaling and protein trafficking and secretion networks.
- Confirm validity of developed mathematical models by testing modified designs.
- Publications on models.
- Initiate and lead collaborations with key external organizations (academic labs and industrial)
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD in the field of computational biology or related discipline (ex. biochemistry) with 3 years or less of post-doctoral experience or met all the requirements for a PhD by May 2017.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in handling and integrating multiple data platforms (i.e. genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, metabolomics, fluoxmic, phenomic) to develop kinetic and predictive computational models for mammalian and/or microbial systems.
- Experience with using mathematical, computational, statistical and simulation tools in developing predictive models for mammalian and/or microbial systems
- Experience in applying and integrating Systems Biology tools, metabolic network analysis tools, network reconstruction and cellular pathway analyses.
- Strong skills in critical thinking, laboratory experimentation and data analysis.
- Track record of scientific contributions (including peer-reviewed manuscripts), and strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience with cell culture and/or microbial process development.
- Excellent scientific understanding of biology and engineering principles for mammalian and/or microbial cultures, including cell biology and metabolism, medium optimization, process development.
- In-depth knowledge of metabolic pathways, intracellular trafficking and secretory pathways for eukaryotic and prokaryotic systems.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement