Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Be a part of the legacy: MRL Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
As a postdoctoral fellow in the NMR group within Process Research & Development, you will work interactively with a highly collaborative team of scientists from the NMR, Mass Spectrometry, and Process Research & Development areas to conceive, design, and implement new one- and two-dimensional NMR experiments to probe structural and stereochemical assignments of complex molecular structures. Acquiring RDC and RCSA data for structural and stereochemical confirmation will also be involved.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Extensive, hands-on utilization of the NMR groups spectrometers to generate the data necessary to answer challenging structural and stereochemical assignment problems.
- Implementing new NMR experiments from the published literature and evaluating experiment performance using model compounds.
- Modifying existing NMR experiments to expand and extend their capabilities, for example through the adding homonuclear decoupling capabilities.
- Probing the utilization of covariance processing techniques for preparing broadband homodecoupled analogs of 2D experiments not amenable to currently available homodecoupling methods.
- Preparing manuscripts for external submission to peer-reviewed scientific journals and materials for either oral or poster presentations at internal and external scientific meetings.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Natural Products Chemistry or a related discipline with 3 years or less of postdoctoral experience or met all the requirements of a PhD by May 2017.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the implementation of new NMR experiments from the published literature.
- Experience in structure elucidation; ancillary experience with RDC measurement is desirable but not mandatory.
- Experience in the acquisition and interpretation of advanced one- and two-dimensional NMR spectral data from both Agilent and Bruker NMR systems.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Ability to modify existing NMR experiments or to develop and interpret new NMR experiments, and then utilize this information to either solve a stereochemical problem or to determine the need and direction of further modification(s) of experimental techniques to achieve the desired results.
- Strong history of publication in peer-reviewed journals is mandatory, with natural products structure elucidation experience
- Experience in the area of residual dipolar coupling (RDC) NMR experiments
- Pulse programming skills .
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations. Former Military, Transitioning Service Members, National Guard & Reserves - We value your past and present service. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement