Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Be a part of the legacy: Merck Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
From a human perspective, the microbiome is an ecological identity that lives in and on us. It comprises a dynamic community of commensal, symbiotic and infectious microorganisms (bacteria, archaea, eukaryata and viruses) that change across time and disease states. The microbiome has been associated with many human diseases ranging from immune deregulation to depression. We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to engage in studies that will highlight the potential of this emerging field with therapeutic development.
As a postdoctoral fellow in Precision Medicine and Genetic Capabilities you will work on Microbiome research with a highly collaborative team of scientists from Immunology, Translational Medicine, Discovery and Clinical Pharmacogenomics, and Informatics to design, plan and implement advanced techniques in microbiome/meta'omics sequencing and analysis. This postdoctoral opportunity provides an opportunity to work on leading edge research that is expected to have an impact in our understanding of disease pathobiology, host-microbe and microbe-microbe interactions and patient care.
We are seeking a talented genomics scientist who is keen to pursue meta'omics research that will have an emphasis on novel discoveries, a potential for patient impact and will generate high impact publications. The candidate must be able to work independently and have strong genomics and bioinformatics background with extensive experience in analyzing large datasets. They must be able to develop novel analytical pipelines that can be used to replicate analysis. Lastly, they must have strong technical knowledge of Next-Gen Sequencing, SNP arrays and mRNA expression across multiple organisms and platforms.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluate opportunities, select key experimental parameters and oversee sequencing in samples from a variety of studies across immunology and infectious disease.
- Implement and apply leading edge analytical protocols
- Analyze a variety of clinical, host and microbiome parameters as they relate to disease biology, drug response and biomarkers of disease pathobiology.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD in Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Immunology, Infectious Disease, Molecular and Cellular Biology with strong quantitative training, or other closely related field with 3 years or less of postdoctoral experience or met all the requirements for a PhD by May 2017
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in human immunology, inflammation and/or functional genomics research
- Skills in at least one of the following: Python, Perl
- Experience developing analytical pipelines in R
- Experience with high throughput data such as Next-Generation-Sequencing (NGS) data.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in analyzing, and annotating very large genomic data sets
- A proven ability to conduct independent research to a very high level.
- Strong history of publication in peer-reviewed journals
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement