GE Energy Connections
Energy Connections Automation & Controls
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Energy Connections designs and deploys industry-leading technologies that turn the world on. We transport, convert, automate and optimize energy to ensure we provide safe, efficient and reliable electrical power. Uniting all the resources and scale of the world's first digital industrial company, we connect brilliant machines, grids, and systems to power utility, oil & gas, marine, mining and renewables customers, that keep our world running.
GE is a leading provider of automation and controls technology and services for power generation, distribution and adjacent applications across industry. Our differentiated Industrial Internet solutions enable customers to optimize equipment performance and ensure reliable and efficient operations by connecting their machines, data, insights and people. Our dedicated team includes some of the best minds in automation capable of solving our customers' toughest challenges. To learn more, please visit: www.geautomation.com.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Power Electronics Design Engineer
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
The Power Electronics Design Engineer will apply the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electric transformation of the world's infrastructure. Designing and delivering advanced generator excitation, static starter and control technologies that evolve today's industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future, to serve specialized sectors of the energy market.
As the Power Electronics Design Engineer, you will:
* Define product requirements based on analysis of power conversion applications
* Develop power converter product concepts
* Develop system models and evaluate product concepts and design
* Design and validate high power thyristor-based and IGBT-based power bridges
* Design, select, specify, and validate critical power components (e.g. SCRs, IGBTs, IGCTs, Diodes, capacitors, inductors, contactors, fuses)
* Perform power circuit protection and coordination studies, circuit design, and component selection
* Lead FMEA and risk assessment activities
* Provide technical clarification of designs with suppliers and manufacturing
* Work with a multi-disciplinary engineering development team that includes application engineering, power conversion design, controls engineering, mechanical design, control hardware design, and product test/validation to create state of the art products
* Work with manufacturing and sourcing to test and qualify components and assemblies for production and resolve issues as needed to maintain product quality
* Work with product support teams to determine root cause of component or system failures and implement corrective actions to meet product reliability goals for customers
* Work with external consultants and third parties to achieve certification of product designs (UL, CSA, CE, etc.)
* Bachelor's of Science degree in Electrical Engineering plus 5 years experience
* Minimum of 5 years of experience designing and validating high-power power conversion products
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Familiarity with simulation tools such as Dynamic system simulators (Saber, MATLAB), Circuit simulation (Saber, SPICE), Power electronic device modeling (Saber), and Electro-thermal modeling of power devices.
* Familiarity with Instrumentation and measurement of power converters.
* Working knowledge of power electronics, power distribution and control systems
* Demonstrated ability to meet goals and objectives.
* Effective technical documentation skills
* Effective communication and presentation skills
* Proven interpersonal and leadership skills
* Advanced Technology Degree
* Familiarity with low & medium voltage insulation systems-partial discharge theory and testing methods.
* Familiarity with NFPA 70 and 70E and Arc Flash analysis (EasyPower or SKM) and testing
* Familiarity with electric machine modeling and control
* Familiarity with NEC, IEC, UL, and CSA regulatory standards
* Familiarity with reliability analysis
* Working knowledge of electric motor drives, generator excitation, or photovoltaic system technologies.
* Master Black Belt, Black Belt, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) certified or equivalent quality certification
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on twitter:@geconnections
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.