DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies,
is recruiting for Principal Algorithms
Engineer, Enabling Technologies to be located in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most
innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world.
DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of
products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma,
spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and
biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we
are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's
evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to
develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient
care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Principal Algorithms Engineer, Enabling Technologies will report to the Director or
Enabling Technologies. In this newly created position, the Principal Algorithms
Engineer will translate product requirements into equipment software
requirements and develop test cases for software verification and validation.
Interface with equipment integrators for reviewing software requirements and
design, control of source code, reviewing code, configuration management,
change management, program testing, integration of software, and release management
The emphasis in this position is on broad expertise in applied computer
sciences as a member of a larger team, complimented by others who have true
expertise in Spine treatment.
Specific responsibilities of the
Principal Algorithms Engineer, Enabling Technologies include:
- Coordinate and participate in the design and
development of electrical/software requirements and electrical/software
architectures, with an initial emphasis on intra-op devices for detecting and
evaluating soft tissue structures in the spine during surgical treatment.
- Design, implement and test complex algorithms
for tissue navigation medical devices, and other diagnostic applications.
- Work with internal and external software teams
to provide strategic input, design control expertise and guide integration of
algorithms into final release of software.
- Follow rigorous design control methodology and
writes concise requirements specifications, architecture specifications, and
design description, verification plans, and test cases.
- Performs unit testing of software and assists in
the verification and validation process of the complete designs.
- Manages schedules, meets, and adhere to
development goals. Coordinates, reviews and approves electrical/ software
documentation created by external partners, including product requirements,
schematics, code, verification and validation test protocols and reports. Plan
and execute design verification and design validation activities.
- Fulfill design control requirements including
the creation of detailed electrical/software specifications, detailed design
files, design verification and validation test plans, risk management, DHF,
protocols, and reports in accordance with company procedures, FDA and ISO
- Execute complex, multi-disciplinary technical
projects; develops corresponding patent strategies. Works with both in-house teams in Spine and across
J&J, and external collaborators including companies and consultants to
align technical project strategies with the regulatory, preclinical, and
clinical strategies to meet business objectives.
- Understand technological advancements and
differentiating features, environmental changes, reimbursement, key
competitor’s offerings; and provide analysis on technological feasibility, I/P
landscape, risk assessment, and sales and market considerations.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer
Sciences, Biomedical, Electrical Engineering or related discipline along with a
minimum of 10 years of experience developing complex algorithms is required.
- If you hold a related Master’s Degree and 8
years of experience and/or a related, PhD and 4 years of industry/professional experience you may also be considered
for this role.
- Experience developing software products with
C/C++ is required.
- Experience in highly regulated industry is
required; medical device industry is preferred.
track record of accomplishments in software innovation in a product
development setting is required.
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design;
problem solving, and complexity analysis are required.
- The ability to design, implement and test
software in an environment of rapidly evolving requirements is required.
- Experience developing full stack software; UI,
UX, business logic, and back-end is preferred.
- Extensive breadth of experience and a strong
working knowledge in at least 3 of the 8 Competencies: Software Quality Assurance, Statistics, Software
solutions, Navigation, Imaging, Sensor Data Analysis, Optics, Ultrasound is
- Strong working knowledge of object-oriented
programming and system design including Visualization and graphics and image
processing software is preferred.
- Previous experience with product development from
concept to commercial launch is required.
- Experience in working with startups or external
partnerships for joint development is preferred.
- Knowledge Software Lifecycle Processes are
- General knowledge Principles of Software
Validation is preferred.
- FDA Guidance, and IEC 62366 Medical Devices – application of Usability is preferred.
- Position requires approximately 15% travel
including international and based in Raynham, MA.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)Job Function
R&D Engineering (R&D)Requisition ID