Principal Android Engineer
Location: San Francisco, California
Posted: December 28, 2017
Reference ID: 1084205
Companies around the world use Yammer to allow their employees to communicate and collaborate openly. This makes workplaces more effective and makes employees happier and more engaged. We know this for a fact because we are not only building Yammer, we're using it every day to do our jobs. We are building more than a product and trying to change work for the better. We need people who are enthusiastic, ask great questions, have strong opinions but aren't afraid to admit when they are wrong, and enjoy collaborating with a cross-functional team. We hire talented people, expect everyone to learn and grow, and trust everyone to make day-to-day decisions.
Microsoft is seeking an experienced software engineer to join Yammer's Android Team in San Francisco who will shape the future of Yammer's Android platform to modern app standards, high quality and backed by best in the industry engineering.
As a Principal engineer on the team, you will be responsible for leading both technical strategy and project delivery from an engineering perspective. Millions of Office365 customers rely on Yammer to communicate every day and the Android app is a key client for users throughout the world.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You have designed and delivered Android apps that are performant, reliable and secure for millions of users
- You have lead and mentored mobile engineering teams, developing standards and best practices
- You have a strong product perspective and successful track record working with Product Management teams
- You have successfully designed and implemented mobile architectures
- You have deep experience with the Android Framework and Reactive programming
- You have an understanding of Material Design and mobile UX/UI design patterns, and have implemented features that delight users
- You have solid testing fundamentals and experience building test suites
- You are familiar with automated build and release processes
- You have experience with or partnered with backend services to develop mobile friendly APIs
- Your apps are instrumented, in addition to using analytics and A/B testing to drive features
- You are familiar with Agile, rapid app releases and modern software development lifecycle
- You are enthusiastic about partnering and working collaboratively with teams across Microsoft
Some technologies used to build the Yammer app include: Java/Kotlin, MVP architecture, RxJava, REST and GraphQL APIs, and jUnit and Espresso testing.
WHY WORK HERE:
- We maintain a startup environment, but have the stability and resources of an established company being part of Microsoft
- We are a small, high functioning, fun, talented and passionate team
- Engineers have a great deal of autonomy, end to end ownership and ability to influence the product
- You can dedicate 10% of your time to work on anything you feel passionate about related to the app
- Connect and consult with talented Android engineers on other Microsoft teams through hack days several times a year
- We primarily use MacBooks, but you are free to pick a laptop you can be most productive with
- A BS in Computer Science
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- 5+ years' experience developing enterprise or large-scale consumer Android apps
The Yammer team has people from a variety of backgrounds, races, ethnicities, previous work histories, and life experiences, and we are passionate about growing that diversity. We believe that diverse perspectives drive better ideas, better products and happier customers. We believe in sane work hours, using our vacation time, continuing to learn on the job, and we offer paid parental leave. We have an open floor plan and we're dog friendly. For more about Yammer Engineering, visit our Engineering Blog: https://eng.yammer.com/
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Microsoft will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.