We are the Bing Core Relevance team responsible for retrieving and ranking organic results for given search queries from hundreds of billions of indexed web documents. On top of that, we are also aggressively evolving Bing search engine from key word search centric system to a set of more general intelligence capabilities that can help solve broader intent fulfillment, knowledge retrieval and task completion problems.
Are you looking for opportunities to deliver innovations to tens of millions of users every month that impact their daily life? Do you want to be part of a fast-cycle, high visibility and hardcore search team with ambitious goals and intensive competitions? We are hiring extremely talented, highly motivated and productive Scientists with expertise in information retrieval, AI, machine learning, natural language processing, data mining and large scale distributed computation.
Our goal is to delight our users by satisfying their intent expressed through their queries. Our core drivers are large scale machine learning, including DNN and RNN based technologies, along with analyzing, inferring and experimenting with truly big data. As part of the team, you would be driving relevance projects through their entire life-cycle from idea creation through implementation, experimentation and finally to shipping. Bing core relevance team have offices in multiple worldwide locations, including Bellevue Washington, Silicon Valley, Germany, China and India, also closely collaborate with Microsoft Research on many joint innovations.
We are looking for a strong, motivated, results-oriented Principal Applied Scientist to help drive the design and implementation of the next wave of relevance improvements and Bing search engine innovations.
For this specific position, the following are the required qualifications and experiences.
Skills & Qualifications
1. Strong ability and effectiveness working in a significant technical problem domain, in the term of plan, design, execution, continuous release and service operation
2. Strong software engineering fundamentals, including coding, problem solving and data analysis skills
3. Passionate and self-motivated
4. Ability to effectively work in collaborative multiple project team environment and ship production features in a fast-paced startup environment
5. Good communication skills, both verbal and written
6. Customer/end result/Metrics driven in design and development
7. Strong ability in self-learning, entering new domain, managing through uncertainty in an innovative team environment
1. Master’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering. PhD preferred.
2. 5+ years’ knowledge and experience with machine learning and information retrieval technologies
3. 7+ years’ software design and development experience with C++/C#/Java, or similar programing languages in commercial software services
4. 5+ years of experience in areas such as massive database applications, parallel or distributed processing, high performance computing, large scale data mining
5. 5+ years of experience with Hadoop, Dryad, or similar distributed systems
6. 5+ years of leadership experience and skill set in both significant technology areas and complex commercial software project
7. Experience in the areas of online services such as search, online advertisement, recommendation systems, are strong pluses
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment.
At Microsoft, we believe that diversity enriches our performance and products, the communities where we live and work, and the lives of our employees. As our workforce evolves to reflect the growing diversity of our communities and the global marketplace, we continue to expand our efforts to understand, value, and incorporate differences as we help our people and our customers realize their potential.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.