Principal Applied Scientist
The AI for Office Group in AI&R is looking for a talented principal applied scientist. The team is aiming at making Office 365, Microsoft’s productivity service, more intelligent and personal. Working closely with the Office team, we would apply machine learning and natural language processing technology developed with the big data from Bing to Office, and empower its users to achieve more. We adapt the Bing search relevance technology to understand users’ intent and help them finding the messages, documents and entities effortlessly; We apply the latest machine reading technology to automatically construct knowledge graph from users’ documents, appointments and email messages; we work with Microsoft Research to host the knowledge in a cutting-edge graph serving platform to enable new experiences. There are many challenges in this endeavor, in which we must achieve the goal compliantly, respecting users’ and their organization’s privacy and confidentiality. This requires us to be more creative in the design of machine learning solutions, including unsupervised, semi-supervised and transfer learning.
Our team brings together talent in the areas of machine learning, natural language processing, software engineering, and trustworthy computing. Together we develop and deliver robust, natural and scalable solutions across a rich set of scenarios.
We are looking for an applied scientist with strong machine learning and/or natural language background. The responsibilities include:
· Tech leading an area related to NLP, machine Leaning; knowledge mining or relevance ranking, including (1) problem analysis to set the directions for the area; (2) setting up the execution plan for the directions; and (3) working with other scientists, engineers and UX experts on the detailed design and implementation of end-to-end solutions.
· Evaluating existing technologies and/or creating new machine learning and data mining algorithms, designing and executing offline/online experiments. More specifically, developing the ML algorithm without looking at users’ data or leaking the sensitive information among users and tenants.
· Being vigilant about technology trends and scientific developments in relevant areas inside and outside of the company, including attending academic and industrial conferences.
Required qualifications for this position include:
· Tech lead experience and independent ownership of a problem space
· 5+ years of Machine learning/NLP experience with strong analytical and critical thinking skill
· 5+ years of software engineering experience
· Master degree or above in CS/EE or a related field.
· A passion for improving end user experience & productivity. Value users experience and productivity more than technology per se
Ph.D. is strongly preferred.
· Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, and great team work skills
· Experience in large scale data mining and cloud computing
· Familiarity with map reduce framework, and parallel/distributed processing such as Hadoop/Spark/Dryad/Scope
· Familiarity with deep/recurrent neural network and related technologies
· Familiarity with relevance ranking
· Familiarity with knowledge mining/entity-relation extraction
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.