Job Location: Cary, NC
The Principal Architect role is part of MetLife’s Enterprise Architecture practice. The primary job function is to design and illustrate Solution Architecture for large business-driven strategies and programs. The Principal Architect will maintain expertise in the business process, the business applications, technology, and IT Strategy. He/she considers requirements from numerous matrixed teams and delivers the technical blueprints from which the program will build and test the solution. These blueprints illustrate multiple levels of technical complexity including all business applications, data, integrations, security, payloads and protocols, and infrastructure. The Principal Architect must be able to leverage the illustrations to clearly articulate the solutions to a broad range of stakeholders from senior business management to first-line developers and project managers.
- Leads the planning, development, specification and communication of an architecture domain and/or solution architecture.
- Defines the system components, services, technologies, and design required to implement a solution that represents an intersection of elements from MetLife’s Business, Information, Application, and Technology architecture domains, and addresses a specific business opportunity or problem.
- Leads creating, analyzing and review of assigned architecture domain or solution architecture
- Collaborates with other architects to ensure integrity of assigned domain or solution architecture
- Leads or participates on multiple, complex or large-scale matrixed team projects as assigned including project planning & financial; participates in cross-LOB programs or projects
- Creates and ensures maintenance and quality of related project documents and/or architecture artifacts
- Acts as a project leader and provides work guidance to lower level and project staff, and supervises consulting resources
- Maintains broad and deep understanding of multiple technologies, reference architectures and business applications
- Responsible for the development of horizontal solutions for projects / programs
- Partners with application development teams in validating and implementing proposed solutions
- Facilitates business data analysis, acquisition and access analysis and design, DBMS optimization, archiving and recovery strategy, load strategy design, security and change management
- Ensures existing data/information assets are identified, stewarded and leveraged across the enterprise.
- Evaluates reusability of current data for additional analyses.
- The role requires broad and deep communication (oral and written) and influencing skills, negotiation skills, business acumen, and deep technical expertise.
- In addition to program and project solution architecture the Principal architect must be able to envision and illustrate long-term enterprise architecture strategy delivering such artifacts as the Future State Architecture vision for an entire line of business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 8+ years of related architecture experience
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one architecture discipline, and experience in at least one other
- Proficient at working with System Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Experienced in complex project planning and execution working with multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated experience at understanding, analyzing, applying, and communicating abstract architectural concepts
- Influencing and negotiating skills - consultative approach
- Proficient at working independently with minimal supervision, and consistently meets all expectations
- Broad knowledge of technologies and design patterns
- Advanced knowledge of multiple architecture disciplines, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Experience and/or trained in one or more formal architecture frameworks such as FEAF, TOGAF, or Zachman
- Experience leading a matrixed team
Global Technology - Enterprise Infrastructure & Architecture
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 51221