Principal Associate Investigator
The Principal Associate Investigator role serves as a point of contact between Corporate Security Services (CSS) and Capital One’s lines of business (LOBs), conducting internal fraud investigations. He/she will provide advice and solutions that mitigate security and fraud risks, which may reach across the company and require interaction with internal and external clients. He/she will be able to identify and analyze issues and gather information to determine causes and possible solutions. He/she may also partner with multiple clients through a combination of internal relationship management, applied business analysis, and project participation. The associate will influence and gain support for security initiatives that will yield significant business impacts. The associate will, with limited management assistance, design, develop, and execute tests to assess compliance with security-related policies, procedures and applicable banking laws and regulations in the conduct of investigations and assurance reviews. He/she typically works under general to limited supervision, with latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
Function as a highly skilled Fraud Investigator with the ability to multi-task, analyze and interpret data, and demonstrate effective decision making.
Size and Scope of Responsibility
• Contributes to internal CSS project work.
• Prepares and implements plans to conduct investigations and provide direct support to external clients as needed. Provides input into the development of work plans.
• Leverages his/her specialized knowledge and skills, providing management with insight into his/her area of subject-matter focus.
• Establishes and builds a working relationship with line management.
• Performs other related work as assigned.
Span of Control
• Typically works independently under limited supervision, and has latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Requires low levels of guidance/supervision from manager on complex investigations or projects.
• May assist the Manager, Sr. Manager, Director or Vice President in performing staff management responsibilities, typically training.
• Executes moderately complex investigations and projects based on security expertise and direction from managers. Participates in design and execution of more complex investigations and security projects.
• Demonstrates flexibility in responding to changes in assignment and job responsibility.
• Maintains harmonious working relationships with customers and exerts some influence based on security expertise.
• Establishes and maintains good client relationships during engagements.
• Takes an active interest in learning about the business of Capital One.
• Participates in strategic planning based on subject-matter expertise.
• Plans and prioritizes own work well – is effective at time management.
• Is able to work within established budgets.
• Enters service hours into tracking system. Reports metrics as needed. Distributes reports to customers as needed.
• Maintains all organizational and professional ethical standards
• Pursues professional development opportunities, including internal and external training and professional association membership, and shares information gained with co-workers
• May act as a development mentor to Associate and Senior Investigators
Competencies and Experiences:
Core Professional Knowledge
• Sound knowledge of generally-accepted investigative standards, principles and techniques used in the investigation of financial and white-collar crimes. Sound knowledge of generally-accepted audit standards, principles and techniques used in the evaluation of systems of internal controls.
• Understanding of physical security standards, procedures and policies.
• Exhibits solid relationship management skills.
• Displays some analytical and program management skills.
• Relationship management experience with some security consulting skills.
Problem Solving/Decision Making
• Is able to identify and analyze issues and gather information to determine causes and possible solutions.
• Exercises a moderate degree of autonomy in decision making.
Organization and Project Management
• Is able to effectively plan work activities to meet deadlines and coordinate with others. Demonstrates ability to plan and manage multiple small projects.
• Is able to work as part of a team to accomplish an established goal, and assist in establishing team direction. Can assist in establishing team direction. Is a cooperative, participative, and productive member of the team.
• Contributes specific area expertise and experience to team success.
• Keeps emotions under control when interacting with others.
• Is able to establish strong working relationships to meet business results.
• Is able to review and comment on corporate policies, standards and procedures, providing limited and supervised advice and counsel to department members and business units as needed.
• Bachelors Degree or military experience
• At least 3 years of investigative experience in a corporate environment
• At least 2 years of experience with generally-accepted investigative standards
• At least 2 years of experience conducting investigations involving financial crimes and white-collar crimes
• Certified Protection Professional (CPP) certification, or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) certification
• 3 years of experience with The Reid Technique of Interviewing and Interrogations
• 3 years of experience with creating and filing Suspicious Activity Reports (SARS)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.