Software Engineer, Linux Kernel and Distributed Systems
Oracle Public Cloud delivers enterprise grade software defined elastic cloud infrastructure at global scale with IaaS, PaaS and SaaS that provides customers flexibility, agility and room for innovation while fitting more easily into the corporate governance structure, security and availability concerns written by thousands of internal developers and thousands of customers to provide the largest business automation cloud on the planet. The IaaS infrastructure that enables this innovation and value is evolving to fully embrace lights-out operations, single-click deploy to tens of thousands of nodes, and services that self-heal and self-optimize.
Oracle Public Cloud is building out our IaaS cloud service team to redefine the way we deliver, deploy, operate, secure, monitor, and repair our elastic cloud infrastructure at our data centers and the code that runs across them - at consumer web scale. We are looking to add experienced linux kernel and distributed systems engineers who can step up and own big chunks of that vision.
Some attributes of successful candidates
- Have experience balancing feature delivery, and retirement of technical debt.
- Familiarity with crash-only and recovery-oriented software design.
- Use your knowledge to do Linux kernel development to add support for reliable, self-healing for the IaaS Compute services.
- Experience designing, developing, debugging, and operating resilient distributed systems.
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law. Interested candidates should send their resumes to email@example.com Qualifications:
- Strong experience Linux internals (kernel, shell, client-server protocols, threads, processes, file systems) and Linux Kernel development and debugging
- Good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, consensus services (ZooKeeper), application security and monitoring systems.
- Development experience with Xen or KVM hypervisor is a plus.
- Software development experience in one or more of the following programming languages: Java, C/C , Python, or Go.
- Experience with Resource Management or scheduling in cloud infrastructure is a plus
- Configuration management knowledge is a plus.
- Familiarity with Docker, Mesos and container technologies
- Experience with Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.