Principal Competitive Intelligence Analyst - Engineered Systems Position :
Principal Competitive Intelligence Analyst - Engineered Systems Department :
Technology & Systems Competitive Intelligence Reports To :
Director, Competitive Intelligence -- Systems Company & Department Description:
Oracle's business is information - how to manage it, use it, share it, protect it. For over three decades, Oracle, the world's largest enterprise software company, has provided the software and services that let organizations get the most up-to-date and accurate information from their business systems. After Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems, Oracle became the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware integrated systems company. Optimized and engineered solutions, from application to disk, are key to Oracle's strategy and competitive differentiation in the marketplace.
Oracle Competitive Intelligence is a critical enabling component that helps sales to be more effective in competing and winning deals. Technology Competitive Intelligence provides timely, relevant and actionable competitive content and tools as well as sales support against key competitors across database, hardware, BI, middleware and cloud solutions such as IBM, HPE, EMC, Cisco, Microsoft and others. Position Summary:
The purpose of this role is to provide leadership and expertise in engineered systems competitive analysis with the goal of uncovering and articulating Oracle's competitive advantage, with the ultimate goal of enabling more deals to be won with more revenue for less effort. The successful candidate for this position will be viewed as the subject matter expert (SME) for competitor offerings which compete with Oracle Engineered Systems such as Exadata (traditional and cloud), ODA, and related offerings. Heavy emphasis in this role will be on cloud and broader solution alternatives to Oracle Engineered Systems, which will require a multifaceted background that includes a combination of server and/or integrated systems, storage and some management and database knowledge.
This position requires self-initiated deep competitive research skills and analysis of engineered system competitor product features based on publicly available information, and requires extensive familiarity with key products and market trends (including the cloud and converged competitive landscapes). Emphasis will be analysis content and sales tool creation, regular sales training, and customer deal support. This position will regularly interface with field sales specialists, product management and product marketing, and may be asked to occasionally provide analysis and present to senior management.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who will independently own, prioritize and drive timely and quality analysis in his or her subject area of focus, in this case storage competition to Oracle on-premise and cloud-based engineered systems such as Exadata and ODA, and related offerings such as ZDLRA. S/he will possess strong analytical traits, deep knowledge of point hardware products that compete and landscape (including ability to predict and explain current/future trends), ability to stretch into new areas as needed to cover the emerging "solution" oriented competitive landscape comparison to Oracle. This role requires the ability to translate (both verbally and in writing) technical features to business value as a means of differentiating Oracle from its competition to result in more deals won versus the competition. The engineered systems CI analyst will also work closely with other CI specialists who focus on related products/solutions but will own/drive the analysis for engineered systems CI. S/he will also be responsible for staying current on the latest product details and announcements of both competitor and Oracle (on-premise and cloud) offerings.
The position is an important and active role within the organization, as it will directly impact sales, strategy and competitive direction for engineered systems products and related solutions of key importance to Oracle customers, sales reps, and executives. Previous storage, cloud, integrated systems, and database solutions analysis experience (industry analyst/CI), product management, product sales or product marketing background strongly preferred. Position Responsibilities:
- Deep and ongoing competitive research and analysis in the area of database hardware or combined hardware and software platforms for databases that compete with Oracle Engineered Systems, with focus on delivery of accurate, timely, unbiased and contextual analysis as SME in said area.
- Provide actionable competitive intelligence, sales tools, training, and consultative engagement to serve the needs of the field (cheatsheets, whitepapers, rebuttals, slidesets, quick take responses, field trainings, etc.) with emphasis on facts-based, defensible analysis/proofpoints and positioning of Oracle products and solutions favorably against the competition
- 24-48 hour turnaround on quick take/rebuttal analysis on major Tier1 competitor announcements
- Ongoing tracking and analysis of key Engineered Systems solution competitors (such as from IBM, HPE, Dell/EMC, etc.) and emerging competitive threats and trends, including cloud solution and appliance alternatives.
- Develop, present and maintain regular sales trainings for global and regional field organizations
- Provide daily deal support CI engagement to sales teams
- Function as internal consultant to other Oracle organizations such as product management, product marketing and executives to provide insight relative to the competitive landscape, deep SME of competitors (company and product level), and advise on take-out campaigns, marketing content, product requirements, etc.
- Work closely with CI peers and other stakeholders who are SME's in servers, database, middleware storage, cloud, etc. to formulate combined competitive analyses for Oracle HW/SW engineered solutions relative to offerings from key competitors.
- Help to facilitate a single CI community and single channel to market across all global regions. Educate stakeholders on key information resources available.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3 years of recognized competitive analysis skills focused in the areas of enterprise hardware is required. Strongest preference for individuals who also possess cloud and/or software knowledge as applied to infrastructure solutions knowledge foundation (especially database and unified management aspects).
- 5 years of related B2B industry knowledge including understanding of customer needs either through previous experience implementing or planning real-world enterprise customer integrated solutions (from either the vendor or customer side), as an industry analyst, or by presenting solutions at customer briefings, a strong plus..
- Prior experience in integrated system and storage product analysis will receive strongest consideration. Deep knowledge of cloud, management, backup/DR and database solutions strongly preferred.
- Previous point hardware solution, integrated system or appliance product sales, industry analyst, product/field oriented CI, product management, or product marketing background strongly preferred.
- Ability to analyze competing products/solutions to a deep technical level but with context to Oracle engineered system alternatives, and understanding of customer implications. Hands on experience testing, using or implementing, a plus.
- Ability to discuss technical details with pre-sales/sales consultants and up-level the information to sales tactics/strategy for sales reps.
- Knowledge of software targeted for Oracle Engineered Systems such as database and backup, and infrastructure software (management, SW defined storage/networking, etc.) also a strong plus.
- Ability to self-start and prioritize by importance/impact multiple simultaneous projects/deliverables to successful completion (i.e., in a quality and timely manner) is a critical success factor.
- Excellent writing and analysis skills / Strong verbal communication / Strong interpersonal skills
- Analytical and a strategic thinker / Energetic and enthusiastic / Self-starter who mostly works independently but can also work collaboratively on projects when required.
- Flexible and adaptable with a proven willingness to stretch in to new analysis areas is a key requirement.
- Proven ability to work with Sales, Product Management/Marketing, and present to Executives and to ascertain the different levels of scope and deliverables needed for each audience.
- BA/BS degree in business, technology or research is minimally required. Master's degree is preferred, but demonstrated experience can be substituted.
Successful candidate must be a self-starter focused primarily on completion of quality and timely deliverables with an "ownership" mentality to drive analysis and content creation within his or her area of focus, as well as be a team player to drive the overall success of the CI team and organization.
To be successful, s/he will have a background in industry analysis, competitive intelligence or selling, managing, marketing or supporting integrated solution products (either on the vendor or customer side). This position requires excellent writing skills as well as verbal communication skills, familiarity and understanding of competitive intelligence and marketing process and deliverables, and a keen understanding of how Dell/EMC, IBM, HPE, and other integrated solution vendors and emerging players compete with Oracle Engineered Systems. Work Location: SF Bay Area Strongly Preferred Travel Component:
As part of Oracle's U.S. employment process, candidates will be required to complete a background check prior to an offer being extended. These background checks include: Prior Employment Verification / Education Verification / Social Security Trace / Criminal Background Check / Motor Vehicles Records (where required for position)
Development and implementation of business plans, marketing strategy, and forecasts for a product/service or vertical market.
As a product analyst you will participate in every stage of the product life cycle to ensure product meets the needs of users. Drive the implementation of programs in support of the marketing strategy, business plans, and forecasts for assigned product lines. Maintains current status of customer specifications for existing and future products. Identify, evaluate, and recommend marketing opportunities in support of product line objectives. Drive product functionality delivering high quality product documentation. Lead products through scheduled release assisting others to manage commitments and resources. Measure and report progress and review deliverables.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Demonstrated product/project management experience. Ability to work with Executives. Strong interpersonal skills. Excellent written and verbal communication. Demonstrated product/project management experience. Creative, energetic, and enthusiastic. Team player. Experience using or implementing Oracle, SAP, or Peoplesoft applications. Basic HTML and web technology skills a plus. 8 years technology/industry experience and BA/BS/MBA degree.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.