Principal Data and Applied Scientist Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posted: February 14, 2018
Reference ID: 1082880
This role can be located in Redmond, WA.
I fundamentally believe that if you are not learning new things, you stop doing great and useful things” – Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO
The Microsoft Learning Strategy and Insights team within the Worldwide Learning group is composed of insatiably curious, self-directed, motivated, results driven people. We are passionate about supporting Microsoft employees, customers and channel partners with the training and development required for them to fulfill their business and personal potential. We are seeking data scientists of like mindset who are driven by curiosity, take risks, and have a passion for problem solving.
The Learning and Insights team’s charter includes:
• Shaping and influencing the learning strategy for Microsoft.
• Bringing together deep contextual understanding with data to understand and improve impact.
• Using analytical methods to derive insights about learning impact.
• Managing and influencing a cycle of communications and stakeholder engagements.
• Communicating key metrics to support business objectives.
The ideal manager candidate builds, leads and coaches a high performing DS team, frames broad and ambiguous questions, is adept at influencing across teams, and drives investigations to derive insights that can improve business outcomes. To be successful in this role, you must like to manage people more than data, be curious and entrepreneurial, and deliver results. You also need to have strong written and oral communication skills and a can-do attitude and the willingness to tackle hard problems with others in innovative ways.
• Build and develop a diverse team with capabilities that are needed to achieve business objectives.
• Effectively formulate and communicate strategy and goals and align team’s work to those.
• Partner and collaborate with other teams on related deliverables
• Contribute your data science expertise to coach and encourage innovative investigations.
•4+ years management experience
•4+ years of work experience in SQL, R, C+, Python
• Bachelors degree or higher in Statistics/Math/Computer Science/Data Science or related quant. field.
•Work experience to implement statistical models, machine learning, and analysis (Prediction, Classification, Clustering, time series forecasting, regression models, etc.) in big data environment.
•2+ years of work experience with experimentation, machine learning, deep learning, anomaly detection, predictive analysis, text analysis, exploratory data analysis, or other areas of data science
• Experience sharing data derived insights to business stakeholders.
•5+ years’ experience with Excel, SAS, MATLAB, or AMPL.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.