CSE Business Group Sizzle Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Do you want to make a difference with the digital transformation of the company? Core Services Engineering (CSE) builds the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We are in the business of human capital management, financial management and other important core services. We are shaping the way we think about and build these experiences for our users. We are changing from a service provider organization to a product and strategy organization. To move forward with this vision, we need to have a deeper understanding of our customers’ behavior, needs, wants and desires. The Principal Design Director position requires a strong and experienced product design person.
This person is well versed in the product development cycle, has a solid user centered and product design process, and has a diverse and extensive portfolio of work from large scale products to incubation products. This person is creative in their problem-solving solutions, can articulate a strong design point-of-view, and inspire and lead a team of designers with deep and diverse design skills. Most importantly this person will be a driver of change, open to new possibilities, impact oriented, and a great culture fit.
Outcomes you’ll drive:
• Lead and inspire a team of interaction designers, visual designers, motion designers, prototypers and front-end developers focused on end-to-end experiences
• Develop and execute on a cohesive end-to-end design plan and process for the entire CSE org
• Ensure that all UX Design activities are executed at high levels
• Create and oversee scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes, UI pattern libraries, interaction guidelines and other artifacts required to develop and evolve designs for a set of products, tools and services
• Work closely with multiple disciplines (especially research and engineering) on aligned goals
• Communicate and execute strategic product/service design direction to top level leaders
• Demonstrate design concepts and strategy through prototyping
What you’ll need:
• Evidence leading an impactful group of product designers focused on end-to-end experiences
• Presentation of a strong design portfolio (depth and breadth of interaction and visual)
• Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, concept maps, prototypes, interaction guidelines and other related artifacts for a strong interaction point-of-view
• Deep expertise of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, layout, etc.) and creation of a variety of visual mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, and motion and visual guidelines
• Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products within milestone deadlines
• Demonstrable ability to work with program management, engineering and research
• Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in product design, HCI, interaction design, industrial design, communication design, architecture or equivalent experience
• 5+ years in product design, HCI, interaction design, industrial design, communication design or equivalent experience work experience
Preferred, not required:
• Experience in Labs’ type group is a plus.
• Experience in inclusive design is a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.