Principal Design Lead
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posted: February 09, 2017
Reference ID: 1012543
The Windows and Devices Group design team is hiring an experienced Interaction Design Systems lead. We are a multidisciplinary creative team that leads the development of the design system for Microsoft. We design, conceptualize and evangelize the design language and practical creative tools and processes that inspire and engage our partners from Windows to HoloLens to Office and Azure. Our work spans many areas of design from UX to brand and retail to industrial design. We work in a wide variety of products and experience with one goal in mind: Creating products that customers love.
In this senior role as a Principal Interaction Design Systems Lead, you are responsible for a key area of the Microsoft Design system. Your role will lead the development and implementation of new design processes and tools that will help meet the goal of creating cohesive and coherent experiences across the company. In this role you will innovate new processes and develop new tools that bring efficiency and consistency to the design organization, allowing design teams across the company to confidently and rapidly iterate using the latest design tools and elements.
This essential role within the WDG design team is responsible for directing the efforts of a cross-organizational team of designers and engineers to create new tools and ways of working that allow designers to make the most of their time and quickly prototype and verify new ideas and workflows. Working closely with senior visual and interaction leads, you will drive the conceptualization of tools and processes that will create a critical bridge between design vision and systematic execution of that vision and then you will coordinate multiple teams and efforts to develop these tools and processes. This work will have a significant impact across the company, creating work efficiencies for our design teams, and driving customer loyalty for our products by ensuring that the experiences that we ship are consistent and fluid. From a business perspective, this role will have a significant impact on the way that products are designed and developed at Microsoft, which will have long term impacts on our ability to innovate rapidly within an ever-evolving competitive landscape.
• 8-10 years of hands on experience in designing user interface/interaction design for consumer oriented applications and or operating system shells.
• Passion for developing new, innovative and, natural interaction models involving an integrated approach between hardware and software.
• Unrelenting passion for detail craftsmanship in all phases of product development and proven background in establishing best practices for tracking and evaluating such in process
• Proven capability and interest to work across organizations (design and engineering groups) to ensure seamless experiences benefitting the end user and the optimal leverage of shared resources.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Interaction Design, or equivalent education and experience. Master’s degree in similar fields is a plus.
• Work samples that show strong, strategic design systems thinking and tools development.
• Candidate should have a demonstrable awareness and hands on experience with user centered design practices interaction design, visual design, and branding.
• Ability to lead and design solutions in traditional design tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects as well as the Microsoft Office suite of products.
• Working knowledge of 3D animation and or modeling tools is a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to make compelling and clear design presentations for varied audiences.
• As part of this team, you will embrace both Art and Technology, ready to work in either domain. You will be seen as an expert in this field, with many teams looking to you for guidance.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.