Office Product Group Research and Design has an immediate opening for a Principal Design Manager to lead the Skype Consumer team and creative work in our Palo Alto office. Skype keeps the world talking. It is for doing things together, whenever you're apart.
Skype's text, voice and video make it simple to share experiences with the people that matter to you, wherever they are. We are obsessive about design, design-driven product development, and rapid-cycle innovation. If you enjoy a variety of ambitious and original challenges, Skype is for you. Bring an awesome portfolio with you to inspire us.
We will inspire and drive your career growth as well!
Primary responsibilities include:
- Know our customer
- Have, encourage, and lead people and processes with a growth mindset
- Ability to lead and deploy creatively that is inherently inclusive
- Communicate, defend, and build consensus around experience architecture and interaction design direction
- Create and oversee the creation of scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes and other artifacts required to develop and evolve user experience designs
- Have and apply deep understanding of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, composition, layout, etc.)
- Extremely strong visual sensibilities, ability to use visual thinking, storyboards, sketching, and communication design to create breakthrough experiences
- Lead and facilitate design brainstorming and work sessions
- Work with user researchers to coordinate testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design efforts
- Oversee, develop, manage, and refine UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
- Have expertise creating a variety of visual design documents including mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, motion studies, and visual style guidelines
- Effectively communicate with all stakeholders, including senior leadership through implementation phase to design intent
- Demonstrate your design concepts through prototyping
- Managing a team of inspired visual, motion and interaction designers with respect for our inclusive and diversity values
- Follow-through: keep watch of shipped product and iterate for improvements and customer delight
Qualified candidates should have:
- At least 8 years of product design experience including information architecture, interaction design, visual and motion design and appreciation for user research, and usability testing
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in lead and management roles
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including being detail oriented
- Passion about the craft of product design
- Ability to think conceptually about design and information architecture
- Expertise creating a variety of interaction, visual and motion design documents including user scenarios, task flows, conceptual models, annotated wireframes, mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, motion studies, visual style guidelines competitor analysis, and heuristic analysis
- Command of the latest tools for the craft - expertise in Sketch is a must (our needs with Adobe suite are reduced); experience with other tools ranging from HTML/CSS to Proto.IO/Framer, Invision boards and other tools that communicates your ideas well, and provides required assets to your workgroup colleagues.
- This is a hands-on position and we have expectations that you will create, as well as lead others
Experience creating and managing UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
- Experience in utilizing a variety of both qualitative and quantitative research including ethnographic research, contextual inquiries, guided explorations, and usability testing
- Exposure and understanding of variety of design, project management, and development processes and methodologies
- Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products within milestone deadlines
- Experience partnering with multi-discipline design teams in shipping compelling user experiences
- Demonstrable ability to work confidently with Program Management, Engineering, Product Planning, Brand, Marketing and Research
- Experience to understand the array of technical constraints, user goals and business requirements that shape current and future products
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, concept maps, prototypes and other related artifacts
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Interface Design, Interaction Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, Architecture or equivalent experience
- Portfolio review is required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.