Amgen discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen was one of the first companies to realize the new science's promise by bringing safe, effective medicines from lab, to manufacturing plant, to patient. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, Amgen remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people's lives.
Advancing science and helping patients - these dual passions are ingrained in our culture. They drive our work, our values, and everything we do at Amgen. For staff around the world, our mission to serve patients and our commitment to science makes Amgen a place where we can make a positive difference in people's lives while pursuing a challenging and fulfilling career. To foster a setting in which all staff may excel, we support a variety of growth opportunities-from training and education to expanding current job responsibilities.
Amgen is currently seeking a Principal Engineer (Advanced Device Technology) in our Device Strategy Technology Assessment group. This role will report to our Director of Engineering.
Serving a research and advanced engineering function, the successful candidate will actively contribute the evolution of Amgen's drug delivery device portfolio. As a member of the Advanced Device Technology Organization, work will focus on making supported recommendations for a range of drug delivery technologies as candidates for development into Amgen's technical portfolio. Scope of traditional technologies would include drug delivery devices such as; fluid transfer devices, pen injectors, and micro-infuser delivery pump systems. The qualified candidate will ensure successful entry of these technologies into short-cycle robust device development. The Principle Engineer will work closely with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders on targeted technical evaluation of candidate technologies for combination products.
Travel includes 50% for first 6 months onboarding, primarily between Amgen Massachusetts (AMA) and Amgen Thousand Oaks (ATO), settling to 15% thereafter, mix of domestic and international.Position Responsibilities
- Responsible for engineering aspects of recommending technologies for entry into short-cycle robust device development and commercialization of combination products
- Oversight and execution of drug delivery technical assessment projects in different therapeutic areas, including nephrology, bone health, oncology, inflammation, cardiovascular, and neuroscience
- Prepare and provide communications to leadership in support of recommendations and assessments
- Work cross-functionally with individuals and project teams in Marketing, Operations, and Development and serve as primary contact with Amgen's external partners.
- Work with Amgen's partners in the evaluation of device, diagnostics, and ancillary technologies
Doctorate degree and 2 years of engineering experience
Master's degree and 6 years of engineering experience
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of engineering experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of engineering experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of engineering experiencePreferred Qualifications
- MS or PhD in Biomedical, Mechanical, Materials, Chemical, Electrical, Systems Engineering or similar
- Demonstrated success directing development of early stage medical device technologies
- Success in strategic review and creation of intellectual property
- 10 years in engineering of drug delivery device or medical diagnostics
- Experience in product submission for agency review and commercialization
- Familiarity with lean manufacturing and six-sigma methodology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in management of external design, development, and manufacturing partners
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a deadline driven environment
- Strong problem solving and risk management skills
- Demonstrated success with technical diligence and investment
- Familiar with appropriate international design development standards
- Experience with small scale device assembly
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Strong decision making and organizational skills
- Prior personnel management experience
HJUS2016 Join Us If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen values the leadership, skills and passion for serving that veterans exemplify and our constant commitment to hiring the best starts here.