Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's telecommunications and signal processing hardware, software and electrical systems. Works with technical operations staff on system design and configuration. Works with design teams and advises team leaders.
Responsible for developing medium to long term plans for the Core & Backbone Operations group across physical and logical layers, recommend topology optimization, and align capacity planning work stream across the organization to improve efficiency.
This role requires in depth understanding of the network layers, and the intricacies of interworking between network layers; leveraging network analytics, network simulations, and partnering with Advanced Engineering to formulate a forward looking network capacity roadmap for each network verticals within the organization.
• Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
• Responsible for establishing medium to long term network capacity plans for Core & Backbone Operations group.
• Identify and recommend Network Topology Optimization.
• Provide direct support and guidance to capacity planning process and assist in the network analytics design.
• Provide decision support to the organization to analyze solutions and deployment scenarios from both technical and financial perspectives
• Responsible for ad-hoc qualitative and quantitative network analysis.
• Designs, implements, monitors, enhances and troubleshoots systems in assigned areas.
• Analyzes and revises existing system logic difficulties and documentation as necessary.
• Tests and reviews system designs.
• Provides Engineering Technical support and guidance to regional personnel and ensure all technical integration, changes, standards and documentation are met.
• Mentors and guides the work of technical staff.
• Reviews work plans and designs and advises on improvements.
• Adheres to industry specific local, state, and federal regulations, as applicable.
• Knows, understands and follows company policy.
• Performs other duties as requested by manager.
• Experience with network simulation and modeling with tools like Cisco WAE (formerly Cariden MATE) or Juniper WANDL.
• Experience with administering network and systems monitoring and management tools (Netflow, Cacti, MRTG, Solarwinds, etc)
• Experienced supporting configuration management / service orchestration tools like Juniper Northstar and/or Cisco NSO.
• Experience using one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, Java, C++)
• Ability to write SQL scripts for analysis and reporting ( SQL, MySQL)
• Experience with distributed computing tools and system
• Superior attention to detail and strong organizational and project management skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Experience collaborating across organizational boundaries.
• Expert knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols.
• Expert Knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology.
• Expert Data networking knowledge (OSI Model, TCP/IP, Optical Transport)
• Teamwork & collaboration skills to work across organizations and lead cross-functional teams.
• Good business acumen and familiarity with financial principles a plus.
• Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
• Basic knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols
• Basic knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology
• Basic knowledge in TCP/IP and the OSI Model
• Basic knowledge in using ticketing and software tools to support the current operations.
• Basic knowledge of network devices and basic network appliances
• Basic knowledge of network designing software, such as Visio
• Ability to perform duties in a very fast pace environment and ability to learn new technology quickly
• Ability to use personal computer and software applications
Masters or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
Engineering work experience 5-10 years
Project management work experience 5-10 years
Knowledge of company products and services
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
Industry and vendor specific certifications and training preferred (Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, etc.)
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.