Principal Engineer responsible for the day to day operations, maintenance, and break fix for various systems and ancillary applications that support provisioning and other product offerings, along with providing architectural expertise and acting as an intermediary between Leadership and peer groups.
This position will involve a close working relationship team members, peers, engineering and development teams to solve issues that arise, provide feedback to engineering on proposed updates, and proactively identify potential areas of concern. This position will include on-call duties as assigned. Consistent with a 24 X 7 Operations environment, periodic cell phone availability will be necessary to respond to escalated issues.
This Senior Engineer position requires a strong knowledge of Linux operating systems. The candidate must have excellent communications skills, be highly motivated, eager to take on new responsibilities and be a team player. The ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is a must. This position requires an ability to mentor junior team members to include training, and guidance day to day.
Excellent technical skills including strong problem-solving abilities. Other required skills, abilities, and duties listed below:
- Strong understanding of linux operating systems, preferably Red Hat
- Working knowledge of LDAP and/or LDAP-related services
- Shell scripting ability
- Linux package installation: yum, rpm
- Familiarity with system monitoring and concepts
- Understanding of TCP/IP and networking concepts
- Work with and manage systems in a large scale, high availability environment
- Motivated self-starter and independent thinker
- Strong work ethic
Masters or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experienceEngineering work experience 5-10Project management work experience 1-2
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with a “get the job done” mindset
- Strong sense of responsibility – willing to take ownership of issues
- System security best practices
- Ability to communicate with and provide updates to leadership.
- Understanding of Virtual machines/concepts; VMware, Open Stack, etc.
- Red Hat expertise
- Scripting and/or programming expertise (e.g. shell, Perl, PHP)
- Understanding of http/https protocols
- Experience with IPv6, Splunk, SNMP
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.