What you will do:
Provides acoustic and vibration technical support on a wide variety of residential and light commercial HVAC rooftop and split system products. The position supports product development and sustaining engineering teams with analytical modeling, developing and executing test programs, research, problem analysis and diagnostics.
The individual participates in the establishment of product sound requirements and is usually a member of several product development teams. The individual has a good understanding of industry sound rating standards and other equipment sound test methods. The individual has a basic understanding of the design, sound rating and performance of HVAC equipment. The individual is very skilled in acoustic and vibration test methods.
How you will do it:
What we look for:
- Working closely with residential and light commercial product development teams, provides direction and advice for quiet, reliable and low cost designs.
- Acts as a technical leader in sound and vibration and mentors engineers and technicians.
- Creates and develops Sound and Vibration analysis techniques and methods for product and/or system concepts to fulfill business needs
- Prepares product documentation, operating instructions, and reviews related technical literature as required
- Plan, schedule, coordinate and report on acoustic and vibration testing.
- Provide sound ratings to Marketing for publication.
- Develop algorithms for equipment sound ratings in equipment selection programs.
- Review patents and papers to understand the limits of technology and IP in the industry.
- Analyze design options using acoustic and vibration analysis software.
- Research competitive equipment with respect to sound and air performance ratings.
- Participate in research and standards activities of professional and trade associations.
- Recommend laboratory equipment to support development activities
- Provide root-cause analysis relating to warranty/service cases.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the form of test reports and presentations. The ability to work with a team of engineers on fast paced projects and an understanding of the product development process (PDP) is a requirement. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field of study. An advanced degree, MS, in acoustics or vibration specialty is a plus.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the field of acoustics and vibration, relating to consulting engineering, product development or research. Experience in the HVAC industry is a plus.
- Good understanding of applicable equipment rating and test standards, including those of the Air-Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration Institute (AHRI), ASHRAE, AMCA International, International Organization for Standardization (ISO), American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and ASTM International.
- Skilled in the use of analysis and test software, such as: ESI VA-One, LMS Sysnoise, ANSYS, ME Scope, Mueller PAK and MATLAB.
- Ability in modeling, and theoretical reasoning in the support, creation, and design of complex systems; ability to use several modeling techniques.
- Travel requirements normally up to 10%