Job Description: PRIMARY PURPOSE:
This position will work as an integral part of the Airside Commercial Packaged Air Conditioning Equipment Engineering team. The position will require individual contribution as well as team collaboration. As an individual contributor, the engineer must possess multiple backgrounds that include a working knowledge of control systems & control methodologies, HVAC, BAS systems, and other applicable technologies so they can singularly manage the design, implementation, and testing for various control technologies related to commercial packaged air conditioning equipment.
As a team member the position requires the ability to collaborate across various teams to achieve project goals. This would include engineering, product, and manufacturing teams in multiple locations. The candidate must have a detailed understanding of HVAC sequences of operation for commercial packaged air conditioning equipment, along with the ability to develop control applications to support these sequences.
Job Qualifications: EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:
- Understand product/system requirements and be able to develop application requirement specifications that fulfill product/system needs.
- Expected to independently work on projects dealing with HVAC systems, from application strategy definition and specification, through system computer simulation, to system testing (lab and field).
- Develop specifications for new control objects/methods.
- Develop and implement applications using high-level software tools.
- Test applications and control methods using simulation, emulation, field testing.
- Evaluate test data and generate test summaries.
- Develop new control strategies which provide state-of-the-art capabilities, assure intellectual property coverage.
- Evaluate field control issues and devise appropriate corrective action.
- Develop control strategies to facilitate packaged air conditioning unit operation in conjunction with the overall system components external to the controlled packaged air conditioning unit.
- Will report directly to engineering manager with dotted line responsibilities to project manager and technical lead.
- Proficient in written and oral presentation, in writing and presenting technical papers, in explaining technical concepts with depth tailored to the expected audience, in assisting in the generation of product/application documentation literature.
- Demonstrate Integrity - Adhere to the company's code of conduct and business ethics standards.
- Be a good communicator, focus on customers, drive for results and think analytically
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical or Controls Engineering.
- Six years of demonstrated experience developing control applications for HVAC equipment will be considered as equivalent to the BS degree.
- A minimum of seven (7) years direct work experience in control systems and technical leadership (HVAC and BAS experience preferred).
- Experience in product development and product development processes preferred.
- A strong background in controls engineering and development testing, with use of a variety of test instrumentation to perform test data acquisition and data analysis, troubleshooting and diagnostics, technical reporting, and related communication at various levels is required.
- Approximately 10% of the time
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.