Principal Engineering Manager
Office 365 is driving Microsoft’s incredible success in the cloud with over 100 million subscribers now depending on it to achieve more in their lives and businesses. We are experiencing incredible growth as we transform our business to a service and investing heavily to make sure that we exceed our customer’s expectations. The Modern Assistance and Experiences (MAX) team is integral to this mission and responsible for delivering the industry leading Help, Support, and Learning experiences that enable our customers to be more productive with our vast, and growing, portfolio of apps and services. This is a huge mission as we are responsible for delivering these experiences for all the Office clients as well as our key web properties that serve hundreds of millions of impressions per month.
We’re looking for a stellar Engineering Manager to lead a team of Software Engineers and build these new experiences. We are a fun, agile, team that constantly strives to put the customer first, take smart risks, and continually try innovative approaches to drive customer satisfaction and engagement. While we’ve had remarkable progress in recent years, we’re not satisfied and have big goals ahead to drive customer satisfaction to a new high, democratize our authoring tools so anyone inside or outside the company can contribute to our content, make our services intelligent thru AI/ML, and take our engineering velocity to the next level (accelerating deployment cadence from daily to multiple times per day, shifting from canned BI reports to real-time analytics, evolving our client experiences to be entirely services driven, etc.). It’s a big mission with enormous impact potential.
The team’s core priorities include:
• Building the next-generation of Help, Support, and Learning experiences across the growing portfolio of applications and services, including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, SharePoint, etc.
• Transforming our experiences to be highly relevant, engaging, and personalized using the latest tools and techniques available in machine learning, AI, chatbots, and big data.
• Building the authoring tools and client experiences to enable rich, interactive, content that is tightly integrated with our product experiences.
• Deploying code to millions of customers daily. Office 365 is becoming the dial tone for business which gives us a huge responsibility to deliver outstanding quality.
• Full, full, stack development. Our team does everything from frontend web code in React to backend web services code in C# to native Win32 code in C++. We touch it all.
As an engineering leader in the team, your responsibilities will include:
• Designing and architecting important services that will power Office apps for the next decade plus
• Leading a team of world-class engineers that build experiences and services that operate at hyperscale with hundreds of millions of regular users
• Using the Office graph and big data techniques to gain invaluable customer insights for how we can personalize and improve our experiences
• Leveraging machine learning and AI to deliver innovative self-help and Learning experiences
• Making data-driven decisions using telemetry and usage data
• Delivering on the fundamentals: quality, performance, accessibility, and security
• Management excellence. This team is special, and we place a huge importance on growing and developing a diverse team.
• 10+ years of software management experience
• Ability to gain a deep understanding of architecture, product, the business, and customers
• Great cross-team collaboration
• Strong analytical mind and a confident decision maker
• Excellent communication, and influencing skills
• Familiarity with architecture, design, development, and implementation of Content Management Systems is a plus
• Experience working with full web stack (both front end and back end) including knowledge of .Net MVC, React, and Azure are a strong plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.