Microsoft AI and Research Group (AIR) brings together Microsoft’s world-class research organization alongside all Microsoft’s AI product efforts to provide greater opportunity to accelerate Microsoft’s innovation in AI, and to enable Microsoft to create truly intelligent systems and products for our customers.
FUSE Labs is an agile cross-disciplinary lab within Microsoft AIR. Part of the Cloud AI Platform Engineering organization, FUSE is at the forefront of Microsoft’s focus on Conversation as a Platform (CaaP), developing and delivering offerings such as Microsoft Bot Framework and QnA Maker. We are seeking a world-class designer and design leader with demonstrated ability to design compelling, innovate human experiences that are adored by users. You are a leader who partners effectively with your design and research team members as well as program management and development to shepherd end to end experiences from concept to ship. You have designed for a variety of device types (pc, web, mobile, tablet, wearables), have knowledge of natural user interface (NUI) paradigms and have experience in designing experiences with multiple input/output modalities, including speech and gesture. You are a great creator, collaborator, and communicator and enjoy working in a growing collaborative design studio making and mentoring every day, trying things out, failing and trying it out again with a smile on your face (almost all the time).
Primary responsibilities include:
• Know your customer
• Communicate, defend, and build consensus around experience architecture and interaction design direction
• Create/oversee the creation of scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes and other artifacts required to develop and evolve user experience designs for a variety of form factors - from headless to desktop to wearables to 10 foot.
• Have/apply deep understanding of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, composition, layout, etc.)
• Extremely strong visual sensibilities, ability to use visual thinking, storyboards, sketching, and communication design to create breakthrough experiences
• Lead/facilitate design brainstorming and work sessions
• Work with/manage user researchers to coordinate testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design efforts
• Oversee/develop, manage, and refine UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
• Have expertise creating a variety of visual design documents including mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, motion studies, and visual style guidelines
• Effectively communicate with all stakeholders, including senior leadership through implementation phase to realize design vision
• Demonstrate your design concepts through prototyping
• Qualified candidates should have at least 8 years of experience including experience with information architecture, interaction design, visual and motion design and appreciation for user research, and usability testing and have experience in lead and management roles
• Expertise creating a variety of interaction, visual and motion design documents including user scenarios, task flows, conceptual models, annotated wireframes, mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, motion studies, visual style guidelines competitor analysis, and heuristic analysis
• Have command of the latest tools of your trade - expertise in the Adobe Suite and Sketch is a must; experience with other tools ranging from HTML/CSS to Proto.IO/Framer or some other awesome tool that communicates your ideas well and provides required assets to your partners
• Experience creating and managing UI pattern libraries and interaction guidelines
• Experience in developing and conducting a variety of both qualitative and quantitative research including ethnographic research, contextual inquiries, guided explorations, and usability testing
• Exposure/understanding of variety of design, project management, and development processes and methodologies including agile development methods
• Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products within milestone deadlines
• Experience partnering with multi-discipline design teams and design vendors in shipping compelling user experiences
• Demonstrable ability to work confidently with Program Management, Development, Product Planning, Brand, Marketing and Usability
• Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills
• Possess the ability to think conceptually about design and information architecture
• Understand the array of technical constraints, user goals and business requirements that shape current and future products
• Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, concept maps, prototypes and other related artifacts
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills; a great collaborator Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
• A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Interface Design, Interaction Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, Architecture or equivalent experience
FUSE Labs is obsessive about design, design-driven product development, and rapid-cycle innovation. If you enjoy a variety of ambitious and original challenges, FUSE is for you. Bring an awesome portfolio with you to inspire us.
*Portfolio review required
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.