Principal Group Engineering Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posted: December 06, 2017
Reference ID: 1083089
Blockchain heralds a massive change in the fabric of business and society. Gartner forecasts the business value of blockchain at $176B by 2025 and $3.1T by 2030. The disruption caused by blockchain threatens multiple industries and the dustup that follows will pivot core transactional systems to new rails for the next 25 years. Many of the questions about this transformation that remain to be answered touch on the relationships between businesses, governments and individuals in society, rather than technology. Blockchain offers a model for secure, multi-party computation that unlocks new transactional and collaboration models across organizations. It also ushers in a technology wave targeted towards consortiums of organizations, rather than just single- or two-party schemes.
We believe that cloud technology can empower people and businesses around the world to achieve more, and we see blockchain as a strong complement to Microsoft’s existing assets. We are positioned to lead across the spectrum of innovation at the edge that blockchain demands: new math, hardware, platform services, partnerships, competencies, consortiums, market designs, economic models and regulations. The challenges in these areas are substantial – it is not easy for industries to pivot to new networks based on fledgling technology. We are working to bring lighthouse customers to production, and then to reapply the compelling product portfolio that results to accelerate early adopters more broadly. Along the way we will experiment with modern dogfood – where Microsoft comes to the table as both a technology vendor and a corporate customer participating in the very consortiums we are hosting on Azure and Azure Stack. We are building new practices with SIs, ISVs and customers to solve the non-technical obstacles that these new networks present.
In this role, you will lead development of the blockchain enterprise product offering. You will build the engineering team with the right talent and mission to rapidly and iteratively create customer value and drive customer engagement. You will define and shepherd the architecture of our suite offering to meet customer needs today, and to scale to massive consumption tomorrow. You will collaborate across boundaries with partner teams to create compelling first-party integrations that demonstrate the value of blockchain in business processes and experiences. You will lead the engineering workstreams as we build an incubation business that can unlock a new wave of thought leadership, cloud adoption, business models and value creation.
The product offering consists of a full stack of components from infrastructure to PaaS and SaaS:
• AppBuilder enables enterprises to rapidly design blockchain-enabled workflows, and then spin up integrated Azure applications that allow users to walk through those workflows across counterparties and roles. Integrating AAD SSO, KeyVault for key management, PowerBI for data visualization, Azure Websites for presentation, IoT for device integration, Xamarin for mobile apps, and more; AppBuilder takes the complexity out of building apps around blockchain, enabling partners and innovators to get to market faster, with more confidence in the value they are creating.
• Enterprise Smart Contracts abstract business rules from the blockchain, enabling customers to write secure, scalable, portable business logic that automatically integrates with multiple blockchains.This Azure PaaS service acts as the application layer in an enterprise architecture, extending the reach of blockchain to existing enterprise developers using the programming models of their choice. It also models the concept of a consortium of counterparties who can securely transact with each other, without requiring universal trust or a centralized database.
• Azure Marketplace blockchain offerings deliver the top enterprise ledger technologies in the industry in an easily-consumed package in Azure and Azure Stack so that enterprises can focus on building applications, rather than deploying and managing blockchain infrastructure.
• Coco Framework integrates Trusted Execution Environments such as Intel SGX into blockchain networks to enable enterprise-grade scalability, latency, fine-grained confidentiality and network governance. This framework will be delivered in 2018 as a disruptive open-source offering on both Windows and Linux, incorporating new technology from MSR and Azure, with committed partners eagerly waiting to integrate it
The product portfolio will consist of a variety of layers in the stack, some built from scratch as open source, others built as proprietary extensions to Microsoft’s existing platforms. In addition to these currently disclosed offerings, we have a pipeline of strong additions under consideration.
We seek an experienced engineering manager with demonstrated technical leadership ability to guide the design and application of cryptography, distributed systems and cloud patterns to solve customer problems with a healthy livesite. We seek candidates who are curious about customers to help us create products that customers love in a nascent and hyped market. Experience handling ambiguity and rapid experimentation would be highly valued within our incubation business. Candidates with prior external, startup or v1 experience are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates must have demonstrated collaboration skills to work constructively across functions, groups and timezones to solve customer problems. Finally, we seek candidates who will contribute to a positive culture, where all members of the team can do their best work, creating an advantage out of our diverse set of backgrounds, styles and skill sets.
• 10+ years of development experience
• BS or MS in computer science, engineering, mathematics or a related field
• 5+ years of people management experience
• Prior experience with cryptography, distributed systems, IaaS, PaaS or SaaS
• Demonstrated experience recruiting and growing teams
• Experience within a startup or incubation preferred
• Knowledge of Azure or other cloud platforms preferred
• Experience with Microsoft’s broader product portfolio preferred
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.