The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Industrial Design and Human Factors team is seeking a multi-faceted, exceptionally talented, user-centered Principal Industrial Designer who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. This position will be located within our Medical Devices campus at Irvine, California
With worldwide sales of over $27 billion, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is one of the world’s largest, most innovative surgical companies. The businesses represented in the J&J Medical Device sector are Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products, Biosense Webster, DePuySynthes, Ethicon, Mentor, and Sterilmed.
The role of Principal Industrial Designer will join the West Coast section of the JnJ IDHF team to partner with internal and external stakeholders, and lead Industrial Design and Usability activities on projects across four diverse business platforms based in Irvine CA, (Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products, Biosense Webster, Mentor). Collaboration across the greater JnJ IDHF team will also be part of the role, helping shape best practices in usability and design.
The Principal Industrial Designer will embrace the various roles this position requires consisting of Design Leader, User Centered Research Champion, Classic Industrial Designer, and Strategic Partner:
- Providing input into the planning and execution of product development programs - ensuring there is time and resources for the appropriate design activities.
- Collaborating with internal and external partners to plan and execute user research in real and simulated environments - reviewing and synthesizing data to uncover new opportunities and unmet needs, identify potential use errors and develop solutions to mitigate safety risks.
- Using traditional sketching, digital tools, CAD models, and physical mock-ups to communicate unique ideas and product concepts - sharing ideas with various audiences and leveraging skills of collaboration and influence to drive alignment behind the best solution.
Deploying design thinking methodologies to help our business partners visualize abstract concepts and leverage IDHF's position in the organization to shape the future of our business.Qualifications
- A BS/BA in Industrial Design or related design degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- The successful candidate must possess excellent visual communication skills using traditional and current sketching and digital technology (Photoshop, Illustrator, PowerPoint, etc or similar) Proficiency using CAD tools (Alias, SolidWorks, etc or similar) to create 3D databases that capture design intent and are suitable for downstream applications are required.
- Relevant experience working with design for manufacturing in multi-disciplinary product development teams and external partners is required.
- Experience with medical device development and regulated landscape and familiarity with Usability Engineering processes is preferred.
- Experience with the design and development of physical products and/or capital equipment and systems is preferred.
- Additional skills and hands-on experiences that augment the design process is preferred (e.g., Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Graphic Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, Mechanical Engineering, Clinical Experience…etc.)
- This position may require <15% travel and will be located in Irvine,California.
For consideration, please submit a PDF, or provide link to web-based, portfolio that demonstrates successful products, an established creative process and proficiency with design and prototyping methodologies.
BE VITAL in your career, Be seen for the talent you bring to your work. Explore opportunities within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies.Primary Location
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)Job Function
Engineering (Generalist)Requisition ID
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.