West Creek 7 (12077), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Principal Legal Counsel
- Serve as a legal subject matter expert and counselor advising Capital One’s Enterprise bankruptcy operations groups and related support groups (e.g., Legal and Enterprise Supplier Management).
- Support Capital One’s oversight and management of its bankruptcy operations vendors.
- Develop ongoing and ad-hoc assessment strategy and processes to review Capital One’s bankruptcy operations vendors.
- Develop interaction model with Capital One’s bankruptcy operations vendors that includes escalation and review of appropriate issues (e.g., litigation discovery).
- Ensure timely identification, mitigation, resolution and reporting/escalation of existing and emerging legal issues and risks.
- Review internal policies and procedures and advise Capital One’s Enterprise bankruptcy operations groups on best practices, policies and procedures.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups.
A successful candidate will have:
- Expertise in consumer bankruptcy laws and related regulations, as well as the bankruptcy litigation process.
- Financial services industry knowledge and expertise, including experience with consumer regulatory requirements relating to credit card, retail bank, residential mortgage, home equity, and auto finance products and services.
- Working knowledge of consumer protection laws, including TILA, ECOA, UDAAP, RESPA, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, Dodd-Frank Act, and accompanying regulations.
- General familiarity with GSE and FHA requirements.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage large volume of work, including complex legal issues that may arise suddenly.
- Ability to thrive in an environment primarily defined by close collaboration with the business partners and Legal colleagues to solve complex legal issues and to develop guidance and advice.
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player, with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels, both inside and outside the Legal department.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and a member of a state bar
- At least 1 years’ experience in-house legal department or law firm
- At least 1 years’ experience working with consumer bankruptcy laws impacting banking products, including credit cards, home and auto loans, and retail bank accounts
- 2+ years’ experience in-house legal department or a law firm
- 2+ years’ experience working on consumer regulatory matters, with an emphasis on consumer bankruptcies involving credit cards, home and auto loans, and retail bank accounts
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.