Principal MTS Software Engineer
Do you have passion for solving problems that come at scale? At eBay, we deal with petabytes of data that is queried and transformed at a rapid basis - we do 100s of billions of queries per day and update billions of records. If dealing with data of this size and volume is not very exciting, we would like to mention that we are forming a team that will build a geo-distributed, always available, and high-performance distributed database platform leveraging cloud technologies. Now, these are very hard problems to solve, as it’s not easy to build a database with all these characteristics and serving Petabytes of data with extremely high throughput. This is the business and technical problem this team is tasked to solve, and we are looking for super bright engineers who are passionate about pushing the envelope and not settling for the status quo.
A Software Engineer in the database platform team has knowledge and ideas on how to develop innovative solutions smartly. The database platform is being built by a team that has the culture and the environment technologists find at a startup. We are looking for outstanding software engineers with strong development experience in building scalable and geo-distributed solutions. The ideal candidate will have strong understanding of relevant programming languages, databases, transaction systems, distributed systems, consensus algorithms, replication, design patterns, storage, and network. Exceptional problem solving abilities will be critical for success, as will be a focus on quality. In our environment, quality is everyone’s responsibility, passion is key, innovation and creativity is strongly encouraged. The successful candidate will participate in the entire life cycle of a product ranging from architecture through testing and production rollout.
Primary Responsibilities :
• Be part of a team of super-smart engineers building next-gen database platform using the latest open source technologies
• Design and implement differentiated production-ready features in a fast-pace environment with focus on scalability, performance, geo distribution, and availability
• Rollout features at the pace of business changes and requirements
• Passion to bring out innovative ideas and try out new solutions, while being open minded to feedback from the team
• Relentless focus on quality and automation
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent is required.
• Self-directed work style with minimum supervision
• More than 10 years of experience developing/testing/deploying secure production quality software products
• Expert level programming (Java, Python, C) and scripting skills (Bash) are required with demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
• Prior experience building distributed systems at internet scale
• Proven technical leadership in guiding teams and making architectural decisions
• Ability to collaborate with other senior technical leaders in the team
• Demonstrated experience in leading critical project to production
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required due to dynamic nature of team discussions
• Working experience in a cloud environment (Docker) is required
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: