What you’ll be doing...
This position will require independent thinking and demand full use and application of principles, theories and concepts of routing and switching technologies. You will work closely with Verizon and Customer Operations, project management, and engineering teams to insure meeting the customer’s requirements. In addition, you will provide technological vision for network transformation, serve as the Engineering Team lead back into Verizon, and ensure information is flowing to engineering resources assigned to project.
- Design and deploy state-of-art technology to meet the customer’s business needs,
- Interface to the project management team regarding technical planning and network issues,
- Provide input for forecast and plan resource allocation,
- Act as the direct interface to customers on advanced design solutions,
- Develop white papers for designs specific to the customer’s network inclusive of Verizon Business solutions, and
- Matrix manage engineering resources in other parts of the Verizon organization as needed.
- Micro level technical project management for engineering requirements and responsibilities.
What we’re looking for...
You have the ability to successfully organize and direct the execution of major projects. You’ve got exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills, and you’re a whiz when it comes to managing and planning operational budgets. You take real pride of ownership in the infrastructure environments you run.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with converged/integrated compute infrastructure systems, including network knowledge.
- Experience in designing, configuring, implementing & testing, troubleshooting and supporting multi-site network environments that consist of multi-vendor Routers, Switches, Wireless LAN, WAN Accelerator, VoIP, Firewall & Network Security.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems or engineering.
- Demonstrated capability to successfully create and manage programs for infrastructure lifecycle processes such as capacity, availability, configuration management, and access management.
- Thorough understanding of interdependencies and protocols across compute, network, and storage technologies.
- Knowledge and experience with ITIL including practical application of ITIL processes. Ideally, with ITIL v3 Foundation Level certification or higher.
- Experience with VNS and SD-WAN network infrastructures (Meraki, Viptela, Cisco iWAN).
- Hands-on experience designing and configuring various routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, EIGRP IGRP, HSRP, RIPv1 & RIPv2.
- Hands on experience with complex QoS and VLAN configurations and designs.
- Vendor certification – For IP networks, engineers must have at least a Cisco CCNP/CCDP/CCDA or equivalent practical knowledge, and/or Juniper JNCIS with a higher level certification preferred (example – CCIE or JNCIE).
- In-depth Juniper & Cisco knowledge with MPLS network architecture and design disciplines, operational support familiarity, previous and current extensive hands-on implementation, and thorough configuration knowledge and capabilities for all platform levels.
- Have very strong customer interfacing background, as well as superior oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive technical writing skills.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
A little about us:
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.