We are currently looking for an innovative person with a passion for technology to drive optical design and development. Primary responsibilities include the optical design and analysis of imaging and illumination systems. This includes the optical design, mechanical design, development, documentation, and verification of high-volume, low-cost optics and related components including sensors and emitters. Applicants will also need to demonstrate the ability to work concurrently with Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Process Engineering, Tooling Engineering, Manufacturing and Test Engineering in creating innovative Optical systems.
Responsibilities: The position will require creating system conceptual designs, demonstrated leadership skills, innovative design management expertise and a passion for relevant products. Applicant will be responsible for creating complete engineering schedules, tracking tasks against deliverables and project milestones. Solid optical engineering design practice will be required beginning with product specifications, design analyses, risk analysis and contingency plans, design reviews, manufacturability assessments, verification of design durability and reliability. Developing and implementing optical component tests and optical subsystem tests will be required. Applicant must have a strong technical understanding of displays, cameras, detectors and emitters. Applicant must have a solid understanding of radiometry and photometry. Strong analysis skill-set in statistics and tolerancing is required. Fluency with industry standard development tools and related manufacturing processes is required. A strong working knowledge of optical tooling and fabrication methods is required, and applicant will be responsible for creating all relevant and appropriate industry standard documentation to support programs for tooling and manufacturing. Applicant must be able to travel to design and manufacturing locations throughout the world to include Asia and Europe.
• MS or PhD in Optics, Physics, Engineering
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
• Proven track record of taking a high volume optical product from concept to high volume production
• Experience using a sequential ray-tracing program for design, analysis, optimization and tolerancing (Zemax, Code V, Oslo). Must show examples of optical designs and fabricated designs
• Experience using a non-sequential ray-tracing program for design, analysis, optimization and tolerancing (ASAP, Zemax, Fred, LightTools). Must show examples of optical designs and fabricated designs
• Experience using lab and data acquisition software (example; Labview)
• Experience using a general analysis software (example: Matlab)
• 2+ years’ experience designing with mechanical CAD development tools (i.e. ProE or SolidWorks)
• Working knowledge and experience with color science and colorimetry
• Ability to develop test tools to characterize optical and system level performance
• Experience with design and fabrication of polymer optics
• Experience working with high volume, Asian optical vendors
International travel to Asia up to 25% required
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.