Principal Packaging Engineer - Global Packaging Technology
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company firmly focused on its mission to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. Our BioPharma strategy uniquely combines the reach and resources of a major pharma company with the entrepreneurial spirit and agility of a successful biotech company. With this strategy, we focus on the needs of health care professionals, patients, employees, shareholders and our communities, giving maximum priority to developing innovative medicines, accelerating pipeline development, delivering solid growth, continuing to manage costs, and adhering to high standards of business conduct and ethics.
The Global Packaging Technology group within Bristol-Myers Squibb is looking for a talented and passionate individual to design and develop new, innovative, and sustainable packaging as part the strategy to bring added value to the customer.
The individual will play a key role in package development as a member of cross-functional development programs supporting projects from concept through commercialization. This includes identifying user needs, translating these into packaging requirements, and developing and/or selecting packaging concepts and technologies that meet the user needs. Responsibilities include:
- Demonstrate effective project management skills and technical expertise while partnering with R&D, Commercial, Graphic Management, manufacturing sites, contract manufactures and component suppliers to develop packaging for new product launches and package changes for the US or export markets.
- Effectively apply knowledge of material science and engineering to guide material selection to ensure the final product meets the design intent.
- Identify and develop innovative technologies to meet user needs through an effective balance of internal and external development activities.
- Execute packaging development activities in alignment with the elements of Design Controls, and ensure that all packaging materials/systems comply with GPT Departmental and applicable Regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of packaging materials testing and performance requirements defined by ASTM, ISTA, CFR and FDA Guidance’s.
- Responsible for development of component drawings and die lines for graphic design/labeling for regulatory filings, commercial launches, and artwork changes.
- Provide input on packaging equipment qualification protocols and process validation strategies (IQ/OQ/PQ/PV).
- Support Regulatory filing activities.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to provide technical assessments and support for component changes and investigations.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on materials for all packaging component development activities.
- Maintain an overview of state-of-the-art technologies within drug delivery through understanding of technology, clinical practice, regulatory environment, and competitive and intellectual property landscape assessment.
- Serve as a mentor to junior engineers in the group for their professional and technical development.
- Make effective decisions based upon analysis, experience and good judgment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and proactively resolution of packaging component and manufacturing issues.
Qualifications: Knowledge / Skill Education:
- Manage multiple priorities by effectively leading matrix teams, providing good communication, and organizing activities required to promote timely execution of package development requirements.
Experience / Knowledge Desired:
- BS degree in Packaging Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field. MS degree or PhD is strongly preferred.
- BS with 10 years, MS with 7 years, or PhD with 3 years of experience, preferably in the field of Pharmaceutical, Biotech or related industry.
- Thorough knowledge of primary and secondary component materials, systems, and converting processes.
- Broad understanding of Design Control process and experience developing products under these guidelines.
- Strong cross-functional leadership skills and ability to influence matrixed teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Certification in lean/six sigma