West Creek 7 (12077), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Principal Payroll & Tax Coordinator
This associate performs a wide variety of payroll tax activities. Those may include updating key transactions into the payroll processing system, working with tax vendor on resolving tax notices, reconciling payroll taxes, correcting errors arising during payroll processing, conducting audits and preparing reports. Performers in this role are expected to work closely with Capital One Associates to answer their payroll tax questions and resolve any issues with a key focus on associate experience.
- Performs daily tasks related to payroll tax including, but not limited to, Federal and state tax form entry, payroll/tax adjustments and tax reconciliations, identify variances and perform reconciliations, payroll input as needed.
- Ability to complete a gross pay to net pay payroll calculation outside of the payroll system and explain to Associates with questions about their pay.
- Ability to determine the correct local taxation for an associate based on Home and Work location
- Reviews payroll system output for errors and makes necessary corrections in the system.
- Assists other Capital One HR Partners as required, to resolve errors and maintain or update accurate information in the payroll system.
- Assists the Tier I HR Help Desk representatives in handling and following up on inquiries related to payroll tax:
- Provides additional information and guidance to associates with questions concerning their taxes
- Handles telephone calls and inquiries requiring detailed knowledge about the end to end payroll process at Capital One.
- Performs a variety of regularly scheduled and ad-hoc audits of the payroll data to maintain compliance with established standards.
- Assists in year-end W2 reporting and preparation.
- Regular attendance is required to be successful in this role and overtime maybe required as business needs dictate.
- Understanding of the gross to net calculation inclusive of pre/post tax deductions and taxable benefits
- Strong understanding of end to end payroll and payroll tax laws and regulations.
- Local Tax Experience
- Familiarity with pay and benefit programs
- Effective math skills
- Strong verbal and written communications
- Demonstrated customer service skills, attention to detail and decision making skills.
- Accustomed to fast paced environment
- Strong desire to grow and learn
Basic Qualifications/ Experience:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent or military experience
- At least 2 years of payroll tax experience
- At least 1 year experience with Multi-State payroll (5,000+ employees)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience:
- Associate degree
- Professional certification - Fundamental Payroll Certification or Certified Payroll Professional
- 1+ years experience with Workday HR System
- 1+ years experience with case management systems
- 1+ years experience with ADP Smart Compliance
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.