What you will do
Johnson Control's Buildings Efficiency Group is seeking a mid-level Electrical Engineer for their Power Electronics Team located in York, PA. This team is responsible for building drives for the compressors for HVAC equipment.
This individual will be responsible for design of all aspects of variable speed drives for HVAC compressor applications ranging from 300 horsepower to 1,300 horsepower.How you will do itPower Electronics Engineering;
- Comprehensive understanding of three-phase drive power topologies such as voltage source inverters, current source inverters, multi-level inverters.
- Comprehensive understanding of basic three-phase drive control methods such as V/f control, field-oriented control, sine-triangle modulation, space vector modulation.
- Comprehensive understanding of circuit board design for power electronics applications, such as analog signal processing and gate driver circuits. Good understanding of digital circuit design for power electronics applications, such as CPLD/FPGA design, analog/digital interface circuits.
- Detailed knowledge of power electronics devices and modules for 100 hp - 1000 hp, 460 V variable speed drives
- Understanding of heat-transfer means for power electronics systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of electrical and magnetic materials.
- Comprehensive knowledge of electric and magnetic circuit-solving methods in time- and frequency-domain.
- Experience with non-sinusoidal waveforms and methods for solving circuits in which such waveforms are present.
- Proficiency in use of simulators to design/develop/model circuits and systems.
- Proficiency in use of software tools to document designs.
What we look for
- Familiarity with induction motor, PM synchronous motor, and switched reluctance motor technology.
- Knowledge of induction motor steady-state and dynamic (transient) models; ability to implement such models in a state-of-the-art simulation tool (e.g. Saber). Ability to extend induction motor modeling techniques to other motor technologies.
- Understanding of induction motor loss and efficiency issues. Ability to extend this knowledge to other motor technologies.
- Understanding of motors' electro-mechanical design principles, including rotor and stator manufacturing principles, shaft dynamics, and bearing issues.
- Good understanding of the issues related to motor/drive interactions, such as motor insulation failures due to non-sinusoidal voltage waveforms, increased motor loss due to non-sinusoidal voltage and current waveforms, bearing voltages and currents.
- Must have minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering with minimum six (6) years of professional experience OR Master's in Electrical Engineering with four (4) years of experience
- Experience with 3 phase power
- Extensive experience within the design and engineer of variable speed drives
- Project Management abilities
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with Senior Management, Engineers, Technicians and Designers
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.