Principal Program Manager
At Microsoft, our mission is to “empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more”. It’s an ambitious statement, but how can we possibly hope to positively affect the lives of our customers if we don’t deeply understand what they want to achieve in the first place? That’s the problem we’re trying to solve right now in our developer tools group, and we are searching for an inspirational leader that can lend their focus and experience to guide our organization down the right path.
The development landscape can often feel like a sea of rapidly changing tools, technologies, and development practices. Staying current and productive in an environment that is changing so rapidly can often feel overwhelming. In the developer tools group, we want to help developers overcome these challenges to feel empowered and productive every day. We want them to be able to build products that their users will love in a way that feels simple and modern. For us to do this, we need to start by understanding who each developer is and what they are trying to accomplish. We want to work WITH them to find creative solutions to the problems and anxieties they face every day. As a member of our Developer Success and Data Insights team, you will be working in a close, team-oriented environment to identify new and effective ways for our organization to engage with and understand the needs of millions of developers and product development teams around the world.
This is a Principal level role with active sponsorship from our executive team and opportunity for rapid personal growth and advancement. We’re looking for an experienced technical Product Manager, Program Manager, or Marketing specialist who excels in an environment of rapid experimentation, is comfortable working with big-data systems, and who is actively interested in the development of others. The team is remarkably diverse in skill-sets and background, so you’ll always have a peer you can learn from and who can complement your own unique strengths and perspectives. To really excel in this role, you’ll need to be able to master new skills quickly and have the humility to embrace and learn quickly from failures. You’ll work with our executive team to develop and implement strategies that influence organizational culture and increase our understanding and accountability to our customers. You’ll partner closely with our development teams to influence product or service designs. You’ll need to collaborate across organizational boundaries to identify and address process, tooling, or execution bottlenecks that are inhibiting customer understanding and rapid learning. We move quickly, so you may also need to break a few rules along the way – we hope you’re ok with that ;)
There are a lot of exciting projects on this team, and each requires a different set of skills. Our “Required Qualifications” are what we’d generally expect of most applicants to this role. While we also have some “Preferred Qualifications” below – if you actually had all those skills and experiences, we’re not sure you’d actually be human. Treat that more as a list of things we think would help you succeed in the role and expect that you’ll be exposed to others along the way. This role will give you exposure to every part of our developer tools business. You should be self-motivated and ready to challenge yourself and develop others. You WILL be accelerating the growth of an entire organization.
• 7+ years leading Product or Marketing initiatives
• Hands-on experience with modern development languages, tools, and a familiarity with cloud service development
• Proven ability to write and present to executive audiences and influence business outcomes
• Strong technical aptitude with an understanding of modern product development practices for both small and large organizations
• Demonstrated capability in delivering business outcomes across organizational boundaries
• Ability to independently conduct market analysis, competitive benchmarking, and customer research to validate project priorities and direction
• Experience managing product or marketing teams and a passion for growing and developing others
• Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics degree, an MBA, or equivalent industry experience
• Experience with experiment design and modern user testing methodologies
• Experience with inbound marketing and online content optimization techniques
• Familiarity with industry leading product experimentation and analytics software (Optimizely, Google Analytics, MixPanel, Amplitude, KissMetrics, etc.)
• Familiarity with modern big data or machine learning technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Python, R, SQL, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, etc).
• Comfortable with open-source technologies and development techniques
• A passion for understanding and solving customer problems and the ability to pass a turing test – not that we don’t love AI, but this role requires working convincingly with humans :)
**Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
*Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.