Principal Program Manager - AI & R
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posted: March 13, 2018
Reference ID: 1079234
We are on the cusp of an artificial intelligence revolution. Imagine being able to harness a distributed cluster in the cloud to train an image recognition model from a simple SQL query, validate it with data in Excel, then deploy to a chip you embed in an IoT device. Imagine applying artificial intelligence to learn how to train a DNN from an arbitrary image set, breaking down the barriers to entry in data science. Now imagine building the technology to make this a reality. If you are ready to stop imagining, then keep reading.
The Machine Learning Kernel team within the Artificial Intelligence & Research division is defining a new charter in the company: to source the state-of-the-art machine learning algorithmic investments from within the company and bring the technological advances in AI to every developer and data scientist, internal or external, who integrates a component of Microsoft’s stack. We work with teams across the company such as Windows, Office, Visual Studio, Azure and Microsoft Research both to reach our audience and to deliver the AI infrastructure for their products. Our goal is to empower our partners and customers - enabling Windows to become a first-class choice for optimized execution of ML algorithms, providing developers on any platform an unrivaled experience when it comes to integrating AI models into their applications, and building the tools that data scientists will turn for the simplest and fastest route to train complex ML models in the cloud.
We are a fast-growing team of machine learning experts and enthusiasts, born out of the group that built Microsoft’s internal machine learning toolkit (TLC). Whether you are enabling the infrastructure to train on FPGAs from SQL Server, or crafting an automated pipeline to rate algorithmic innovation against the competitive landscape, you will be balancing challenges of unsolved problems against opportunities to learn from those around you. We may be dreamers, but we are measured by the quality and success of the tools that we build - our innovations today power the learning algorithms in Microsoft R Server, prevent image spoofing in Windows Hello, and form the backbone of Bing’s relevance training pipeline.
We are looking for a Principal Program Manager to join our team and help us realize our vision. You will be part of a rare team that combines cutting edge research with engineering excellence in the effort to enable our customers both inside and outside Microsoft to integrate intelligence into their applications. This position will provide an opportunity to gain end-to-end, architecture-to-algorithms comprehensive knowledge of machine learning technology and big data analytics. We move fast, fail fast, and take big bets to help our successes shine.
• Drive the charter of the team to ensure we land a competitive edge
• Understand research and industry trends and the AI landscape
• Advocate for the consumers of the products we build
• Set and own the goals; define metrics and key performance indicators
• Reduce surprises during execution and own progress reporting
• Prototype and innovate on our existing tooling
• Build relationships with teams across the company and communicate technical requirements for dependencies
• Mentor other members of the team
• Define and drive the necessary processes to ensure we ship with high quality and on schedule
• 5+ years of experience in software engineering / product management
• Experience with Machine Learning or Data Science
• BS degree: Computer science, engineering or mathematics preferred
• Clear and demonstrated passion for innovation through machine learning; worked on a product that uses ML heavily
• Entered ML competitions such as Kaggle or KDDcup with strong results
• Excellent data-wrangling, scripting, rapid prototyping, and data analysis skills
• Software development skills in one or more high level languages (C#/C/C++/Java/F#)
• Experience working with large data sets and working with distributed computing tools (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Cosmos, MapReduce, etc.)
• Demonstrated success building relationships and delivering results in cross-group projects Experience managing or mentoring others
• Contributed to open source projects
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop product strategy and roadmaps
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
Do you have what it takes to help us shape the future of AI? Then apply now!
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.