CSE, the Commercial Software Engineering team, is charged with driving the relevance of Microsoft’s software developer platforms with real-world developers.
We do this by going out in the world, and coding, shoulder-to-shoulder with them. Learning where our platform works, and where it doesn’t. Driving feedback to engineering teams and publishing rich open source code assets that demonstrate and accelerate third party adoption of our platforms.
Doing so requires enormous focus on staying up to date. As you know, Software Engineering platforms are evolving at an unprecedented rate. The most strategic CSE is seeking a Principal Program Manager who will lead its upskilling and readiness efforts globally. Tons of work already takes place to build out training materials of various types. The challenge is building a rational, structured plan that minimizes duplication, maximizes impact, and is executed globally across the entire org in a timetable that drives the culture we seek.
Building a culture of continuous learning, upskilling, mentoring, collaboration and growth is the cornerstone to the success of the global CSE organization. The criticality of this can’t be understated, and it in fact touches almost every aspect of our strategy and execution. We need an assertive, self-driven leader in this role who can take their years of experience with developer audiences, and turn that into successful, impactful, executable plans and processes that reach beyond product/service boundaries.
Further, this individual will have to be able to solve radically ambiguous, undefined problems. They’ll have to be able to pick out the most important, strategic threads, and piece together an efficient plan to solve the most critical problems in an impactful way, in the face of great adversity. Not only does it exhibit such complexity; we’re currently at the forefront of an effort to really change how we train and drive the growth of our software developers in the field.
Our group has been experimenting with new, challenge-based training approaches, where teams work to figure stuff out themselves. This has led to some significant advances in knowledge transfer that we didn’t see in the past. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work with all the different folks involved in this experiment, and drive where we take it next.
This role will require the skills of a typical engineering Program Manager: owning and driving working groups, enumerating work items, ownership, milestones and timetables, driving operational model and status reporting, and working to continuously improve operational cross team collaboration and results.
We’re seeking a candidate with the following characteristics:
• You love getting your hands dirty, working with a large group of stakeholders across CSE, Engineering, and our Software Engineers around the world.
• Good decision-making skills, conflict resolution, and follow through
• You are data driven and want to get data to help you really understand where our progress and issues, and exactly what will have the biggest impact next.
• You’re great at fleshing out the details, writing them down and making sure everyone knows what the priorities are and what needs to get done.
• You excel at working with other teams and getting agreement on timelines and schedule.
• It will be exceedingly important to understand the software developer audience. You don’t need to be an active software developer but having experience with coding in some capacity would go a long way towards success in parts of this role. A program manager with experience driving developer platform or tools offerings would be ideal.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
• 6+ years of Software Development OR Program Management experience.
• Minimum of 8 years working with application development practices with a proven track record of working closely with large development teams.
• Minimum of 8 years in Program Management or Software Development, demonstrating a sense of commitment to end-to-end product or service quality, completeness and the resulting user experience for the life of products and services.
• An understanding of cloud computing technologies, and emerging trends
• BS/BA degree or equivalent
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.