Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics . Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated, experienced, innovative Principal Scientist with a strong background in Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease (CMD) to join the research team focused on novel drug discovery at Merck Research Laboratories at our new site in South San Francisco, CA. Here you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture of world leading academic and biotech research centers. Beyond local connections, you will also be able to supplement your research activities by taking advantage of the technologies and capabilities of the wider Merck network of sites in Boston, MA as well as NJ and PA.
- In this role you will be expected to promote and facilitate creative thinking from target identification/validation through lead optimization and preclinical support of clinical programs. An important aspect will be helping to drive innovative translational strategies from preclinical in vitro and/or in vivo models to human clinical research.
- You will be expected to be a "drug creator", and promote such thinking within the team and, by influence, your colleagues in other disciplines with whom you will work closely.
- In order to achieve this, strong communication skills will be required to influence both cross-site therapy area aligned groups as well as functional area disciplines.
- We are therefore seeking an individual with the ability to balance internal cross-site activities with an expansive program of collaborative research with leading laboratories in the external scientific community to drive innovation and a deeper understanding of human biology resulting in the discovery of novel targets in CMD.
- In this position you will be responsible for contributing to CMD area strategy in collaboration with senior management and play a lead scientist role on Scientific Review and Licensing committees.
- Provide program leadership.
- Promote Merck externally in the scientific and business communities.
- Maintain high visibility among internal and external peers.
- Participate in hiring outstanding scientists in the CMD area.
- In addition, you will participate in the leadership forums at the local site with other functional leaders. Here, since this is a new site, it will be important that you help to shape the culture beyond the science.
The candidate should be a strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills and with a demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional project teams. The ability to motivate, influence, and develop & coach others will be essential in this role. The candidate will be expected to encourage innovative thinking and risk taking, while eliminating obstacles and barriers in order to implement change. An outstanding ability to present clear and compelling scientific and business cases will be important. Qualifications: Education:
- Required: PhD with a minimum of 8 years industry or academic experience , preferably in cardiovascular, renal and/or metabolic disease or a related area.
- A minimum of 5 years of post-doctoral experience
- Experience in one or more of the following disease areas; heart failure, chronic kidney disease, metabolism and metabolic disease - including insulin resistance and diabetic complications, obesity, ocular disease.
- Ability to present a clear and compelling scientific case.
- Proven track record in academic basic science training.
- Strong knowledge of drug discovery and development.
- Experience in biologics drug discovery would be an asset.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.